US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo reiterated President Trump's assertion on Monday that the recent US agreement with Mexico on immigration and border was a success. Calling the deal "finest diplomacy" and a "victory for the American people", Pompeo contradicted the criticisms made by opponents of both the Trump administration and some media outlets that little or no progress was made during the meeting.
It was reported that these negotiations were a waste of time, "Pompeo said during a press conference. "The scale, the effort and the collaboration are very different from what was discussed in November."
Pompeo did not elaborate on Monday's new measures that Mexico had agreed to in its recent talks, apart from the fact that it agreed to send another 6,000 Mexican National Guard troops to the border to stop migrants from illegally to enter the USA.
The Secretary of State added that Washington would closely monitor Mexico's compliance with the provisions of the agreement and reiterated that Trump's tariffs could be re-enacted if Mexico did not comply.  "We will literally evaluate this every day," added Pompeo.
Pompeo's comments came hours after Trump tweeted on Monday morning that Mexico had agreed to go beyond what was said in the Friday announcement, and that more would be announced soon. However, Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard said there was no secret agreement in the works.
The President has pushed back criticism of how much of the agreement with Mexico is actually new.
The agreement included a commitment, for example, from Mexico to deploy its new National Guard on the southern border of the country to Guatemala. However, Mexico had intended to do so before Trump's latest threat and made that clear to US officials. Mexican officials have referred to their commitment as accelerated use.
The US also welcomed Mexico's approval to extend a program that was launched earlier this year, bringing some asylum seekers back to Mexico while waiting for their cases. But US officials had already worked to expand the program, which has already led to a return of about 10,000 to Mexico, without Mexico being accepted in public has pushed back this criticism and defended the agreement and its threat, on Monday All Mexican goods levy a five percent tax to urge the country to do more to stem the influx of Central American migrants across the southern US border. Without the threat, he insisted, Mexico would never have acted.
Acting Minister of Homeland Security Kevin McAleenan, who spoke on "Fox News Sunday", also insisted that "everything is new", including the agreement to send about 6,000 nationals to watchmen – a move that Mexico calls "acceleration "has designated.
"This is the first time that so many law enforcement agencies are deployed in Mexico to combat migration not only on the southern border, but also on the northern border and coordinated patrols in key areas along our southwestern border." he said, adding that "people may disagree with the tactic," but that "Mexico came up with real proposals" that would take effect when implemented.
The Associated Press has contributed to this report.