Cristian Roldan scored before halftime, Raul Ruidiaz pounced for his 10th goal of the season after the restart, and the Seattle Sounders clinched the 2019 Cascadia Cup with a 2-1 victory over the Portland Timbers on Friday night at Providence Park.
Jordan Morris picks up his career-high fifth assist and shakes the left flank, helping the Sounders snap a four-match winless streak and move into second in the Western Conference.
Diego Valeri pulled the Timbers back within a goal after a free kick that was Ruidiaz and completely wrongfooted Stefan Frei. Valeri free kick effort.
- 22 ' – SEA – Cristian Roldan | WATCH
- 47 '- SEA – Raul Ruidiaz | WATCH
- 54 '- POR – Diego Valeri | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Brian Schmetzer followed this week that the timing of this particular derby might have been ideal for his side, which had been struggling as of later. While it was a dream come true – Portland were not happy with it. Seattle and Atlanta, but they are still playing six of their last seven at Providence Park.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Ruidiaz may have scored in the Sounds previous match, a 2-2 draw at the LA Galaxy, but the Peruvian came to a standstill. He got it two minutes after halftime with this authoritative finish of Morris' service.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Jordan Morris. The United States national team now has a career high five assists as he continues to work as a broad midfielder. He would have had Roldan not flubbed his first attempt on his scoring sequence. Morris is healthy enough to figure into the Sounders' second match in three weekends against the Galaxy on Sept. 1 at CenturyLink Field, and a potential USMNT call-up after that.
- POR: Saturday, August 31 vs. Real Salt Lake (10:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN + in the US and DAZN in Canada)
- SEA: Sunday, September 1 vs. LA Galaxy (6:30 pm ET | FS1, TVAS, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)