The Portland Timbers and the Colorado Rapids played a 2-2 draw at Providence Park on Saturday night.
Timbers goalkeeper Steve Clark parried four saves in the first half, but the Timbers missed a man The second half ended with no two leads against the Rapids.
The Timbers played the last 35 minutes with 10 men after defender Julio Cascante was sent off due to a hard foul on the Kei Kamara of the Rapids. However, an Elbow in the box of Lalas Abubakar of the Rapids in the 62nd minute meant that Diego Valeri scored his fifth goal of the season.
Sam Nicholson's 76th-minute goal prevented the Rapids from going anywhere. Colorado has not beaten the Timbers for more than two years.
A wicked Tommy Smith header after a corner resulted in an equalizer in the 27th minute that gave Portland a 1
The Timbers played their third game in seven days. Portland lost defender Marco Farfan in the 10th minute due to an apparent knee injury, forcing Timbers to retire prematurely.
- 27 & # 39; – POR – Tommy Smith (OG) | WATCH
- 28 & # 39; COL – Jonathan Lewis | CLOCK
- 63 & # 39; – POR – Diego Valeri (PK) | WATCH
- 76 '- COL – Sam Nicholson | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE : The Timbers face numerous defensive mishaps and are fortunate enough to draw, as Colorado has done much more to win , They have lost three points to the last team of the Western Conference. The Rapids have earned more than a point and have received an outstanding try from Andre Shinyashiki on the wing, his speed is a factor. Colorado brings three of the next four home games to climb the table, without a friendly against Arsenal on Monday.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH : Abubakar's high elbow was exactly what the shorthanded timbers needed, though they could not get three points. Valeri did as Stars did and pushed the kick away from the spot.
- MAN OF THE MATCH : Clark held the match with a pair of parries on the same Rapids possession and another in 1: 1 one second later. The Timbers were fortunate to draw at halftime. And he was not done yet – Clark dismissed a 72-minute attempt by Nicolas Mezquida when he came out of the line for a big stop and ended up with six saves.
– Portland Timbers (@TimbersFC) July 14, 2019
- COL : ] Saturday, July 20 against New York City FC (21h ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN in the US, on DAZN in Canada)
- POR: Thursday, July 18 vs. Orlando City FC ( 10 pm ET | ESPN, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)