Today, the first full training camp of the Philadelphia Eagles was completed in 2019. It was a relatively easy 10-10-10 session ( Click here to learn more about how 10-10-10 works ). The following I have observed:
• CARSON WENTZ UPDATE: My overall impression of Wentz was that he looked imprisoned. He delivered precise passes over the entire field. His most notable litter was that he had made a jump to Nelson Agholor 25 yards down. The ball went just above the outstretched arm of the defender and directly to Nelly. During his post-training press conference, Wentz was much more relaxed than last year when he was visibly annoyed / frustrated by all the injury issues.
• EAGLES INJURY UPDATE: The Eagles' injury situation is too long to summarize here once again during his first training session with the entire team. He took a carry-up in the middle, played with some unblocked defenders (who can not quite attack him) and stormed into an opening in the long run. Just a game, but it's clear he has some juice.
• Some remarks on the lineup: Halapoulivaati Vaitai is still the team's first right guard, while Brooks is not yet team-wielding.
Jordan Howard took the first running back rep with the first team, but Sanders, Sproles, Smallwood and Adams all joined the group.
Avonte Maddox and Rasul Douglas were the first teams outside the cornerbacks that Ronald Darby and Jalen Mills did not train. Maddox switched to the slot and Sidney Jones came in to play outside as the Eagles went to their nickel defense. (Jones did at least one or two reruns in the slot with Maddox on the outside.) So if both Mills and Darby are back, it looks like Jones is in the fifth corner … at best. Things can change, but that's the outlook right now.
Nathan Gerry, Kamu Grugier-Hill and Zach Brown were the team's first linebackers.
• Andrew Sendejo made the first big camp match by beating Nate Sudfeld. Veteran Security fully read the backup quarterback and went a long way to catch it.
• Sudfeld threw Marks Michel two beautiful throws that impressed during spring training. Sudfeld rolled to the right and found Michel on his first completion to the former CFL wide receiver in the field. Then he later met a contested Michel on a crossroads route to make a solid profit. The throwing of Sudfeld takes even longer than you are used to in the ideal case sometimes. That's what Benjamin Solak from BGN really emphasized in the camp last year.
• Cody Kessler had his best pass I've seen so far: a deep corner in the money for Joshua Perkins It's barely known he's a pass-catcher, but the Eagles quarterbacks were aiming for him.
• Special Team Notes: Darren Sproles, Boston Scott, and Donnel Pumphrey were punts in the field. In addition to these types, DeAndre Thompkins and Nelson Agholor also acted on a simulated return / blocking drill like Punt Returner. Newcomer Thompkins gave someone a move that punched Pumphrey and a "Oh, I like that!" Received from a player or a coach. Thompkins averaged 10.2 yards per punt at Penn State. He also had two punt return touchdowns.
Adams sniffed badly as he tried to block Sanders. Dave Fipp set him aside to fix the problem.
Shelton Gibson got a good jam at Cre'Von LeBlanc. These efforts brought the assistant-assistant receptionist (and former special team assistant) Matthew Harper high five.
Keep in mind that special team contributions are important to players like Adams and Gibson.
• Former eagle head coach Dick Vermeil attended training today.
• Leave a caption for this image in the comments:
Next image: Coming back tomorrow with another Eagles training camp. The start time for Friday is set to 9:15 ET. As always, stay on BGN.