At the age of 97 and less than a month after an accident that left two women injured, Prince Philip is determined it's time to get behind the wheel, Buckingham Palace said Saturday.
Procuratorate They said they would consider the ruling if they decide to prosecute the husband of Queen Elizabeth II for the January 17 crash, according to The Associated Press.
"After careful deliberation, the Duke of Edinburgh has made the decision to surrender voluntarily to his driver's license," the palace said in a statement received from AP.
Philip was sitting behind the wheel of a Land Rover near the Royals manor, Sandringham, in the east of England, when he crashed into another vehicle. Although he needed help leaving his overturned wheels, the prince suffered no injuries.
OBAMA'S ROYAL RANGE ROVER FOR SALE
Two women in the other car had minor injuries, AP said. An infant was unhurt like Philip.
The police said Philip and the other driver had both passed blood alcohol breath tests.
AP reported, however, that two days later, Philip was photographed again without a seatbelt. The police reportedly offered him some "appropriate advice" at this point. And the Norfolk police confirmed on Saturday that the prince had "voluntarily surrendered his license to officers."
Car patient says Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth Elizabeth were never willing to drop in
in a letter Philip said he had been blinded by the sun when he was on a main road nearby of the royal retreat. He said to Emma Fairweather, whose wrist was broken, "I can only imagine that I did not see the car and I'm very dissatisfied with the consequences." The letter was published by a newspaper.
CLICK HERE TO OBTAIN THE FOX NEWS APP
. In Britain, there is no age limit for driving. Drivers over the age of 70, however, have to renew their licenses every three years and inform the authorities about any illness that could affect their ability to drive safely.