The family of the late US musician Prince sued his doctor (1
Prince died in 2016 at the age of 57 of an accidental overdose of the painkiller fentanyl, a potent opioid.
Dr. Schulenberg has denied any mistakes.
Earlier this year, the prosecutor said that no charges would be brought against Prince's death. But the family lawsuit filed with the Hennepin District Court on Friday claims Dr. Schulenberg's actions played a role.
"He failed to adequately assess, diagnose, treat and counsel Prince for his identifiable opioid addicts. In addition, they failed to take reasonable and reasonable steps to prevent the foreseeable, lethal outcome of this addiction ", it was said in the lawsuit to ABC
. These deviations from the standard of acceptable medical practice had a significant portion of Prince's death.
The singer's family – whose real name was Prince Rogers Nelson – seeks indefinite damages of more than $ 50,000.
Dr. Schulenberg's lawyer said they wanted to defend the case, Associated Press coverage
Paul Peterson said In a statement: "We understand that this situation has been difficult for anyone close to Nelson and his fans around the world. Anyway, Dr. Schulenberg is behind the care Mr. Nelson received. We intend to defend this case.
In addition to Dr. Schulenberg, the lawsuit also mentions North Memorial Health Care, where Dr. Schulenberg worked, Walgreens stores that provide medication, and UnityPoint Health.
Prince was unresponsive to an elevator in his Paisley Park Studios, Minnesota, on April 21, 2016.
One investigation found that he had been in considerable pain for several years and hundreds of painkillers of various kinds were found
Evidence showed that Prince thought he was taking the prescription drug Vicodin when he actually took a fake Vicodin pill that may contain fatal fentanyl.
The prosecution said there was no evidence that the pills killed Prinz was prescribed by a doctor.
In April, after a two-year investigation, they said they had found no evidence of intentional misconduct.