After the Washington Redskins admitted Trent Williams to the list of non-footballer injuries, they decided not to pay his remaining contributions base salary of $ 5.1 million for the 2019 season.
This is a voluntary one Decision that is in line with the rights of Washington, but does not reflect the approach of other teams. Other notable players on the NFI list this season included the defensive end of Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jason Pierre-Paul, and the Los Angeles Chargers offensive against Russell Okung. 19659013] The Redskins opted for a different approach and decided not to pay Williams for the remainder of the season after paying for him last week when he returned to the team. Williams last week revealed a cancer diagnosis that played a role in his long standing and distrust of medical personnel and the organization in Washington.
When John Keim was asked by ESPN on Friday afternoon whether he was disappointed or surprised by the Redskins' decision, Williams said it was a combination of both.
"I mean, it's a bit of both," Williams said. "They expect it, and it's still disappointing, it's what it is, that's their option."
Williams is not sure what his next move is.
"I do not know what options I have, I'll probably rely on that [players association]," Williams said. "I do not know much more about it."
The decision not to pay Williams is the final chapter in a chaotic situation between the player and the team that will continue to play this off-season. The 31-year-old Williams has another one-year contract after this season and was the subject of team attention before the close.