- Rian Johnson told Business Insider what it was like to see Baby Yoda face to face when he visited the set of "The Mandalorian".
- But the director of "The Last Jedi" remains mother when it comes to the "Star Wars" The film, due to be released in 2022, is one of his planned new trilogy titled "I have no update".
- For more stories, visit the Business Insider homepage.
Long before we all look at the sweet Baby Yoda on the Internet The Disney Plus series "The Mandalorian", "The Last Jedi" director Rian Johnson
One of the benefits of having a "Star Wars" movie is that you get a tremendous amount of access, and for Johnson that meant going to the series "The Mandalorian" during the first season
In addition to talking to the creator / executive producer of the series, Jon Favreau, and his colleague, Dave Filoni, he also had to examine the puppet that became their star.
"On the set, I saw Baby Yoda, "he said to Busi ness Insider, as he advertised for his new movie "Knives Out" (in cinemas on November 27).
"It's so beautiful," he said of the creature.
Johnson admitted he had not had a chance to watch the show because he was promoting Knives Out. When he was on the set of The Mandalorian, he was creative enough to do what he could do next in the Star Wars saga.
"It's like being a kid and having your toys out there on a life-size scale," Johnson said. "It was impossible not to think about things, it's inspiring, it's creatively invigorating to be in the middle of it all."
But as Johnson is intimately involved in the future of "Star Wars" is very unclear.
After "The Last Jedi" was announced to develop a brand new trilogy for the franchise, but since then there have been many disruptions with the franchise.
Bob Iger, CEO of Disney, told the BBC that there will be a "less more" path for the movies in the future, as in the past, "we have too many 'Star Wars' movies in a short time shot and published ". This happened after the disappointing response to 2018's "Solo: A Star Wars Story." Then in late October, "Game of Thrones" creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss left her planned trilogy for Star Wars. ("Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" opens December 20 and closes the Skywalker saga.)
Johnson still seems to stand but says nothing. Asked if the "Star Wars" movie that Disney planned for 2022 is one of his films, he told Business Insider: "You have to wait until they announce whatever they announce, I have no update
On Wednesday, a story by The Hollywood Reporter, citing "a source," reported that the film, planned for 2022, was not one of Johnson's projects.
Next to Lucasfilm's head, the THR story also reported on the further development of Kathleen Kennedy, who keeps an eye on things, and the "Mandalorian" executive producers Favreau and Filoni will also have much to say about the franchise's future. How much Filoni is anchored in the "Star Wars" mythology.
"Filoni has the soul of" Star Wars, "Johnson said. "He has the heart of it."