A Sarasota man died of a carnivorous bacterium after eating raw oysters.
The bacterium, called Vibrio vulnificus, is often associated with the consumption of raw or uncooked shellfish. or entering warm coastal waters with exposed wounds.
The 71-year-old Sarasota man is said to have eaten the contaminated oysters on July 8 and died two days later, according to the Florida Department of Health. The name of the restaurant has not been published.
Vibrio vulnificus is a rare disease, but infections lead to vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, according to the website . If the infection is contracted through the skin, it can lead to skin breakdown and ulcers.
It is recommended that people do not eat raw shellfish, especially oysters, as the bacteria exist all year in warm, brackish seawater, according to the department. Instead, they should make sure that their shellfish are cooked thoroughly.
You should not get into the water with an open wound, but you should wrap or protect the wounds from getting into brackish seawater.
Patients should seek advice from a doctor. One of these symptoms occurs soon after eating raw shellfish or enters the water with open wounds.
Healthy persons usually develop a mild disease by infection, health officials said. But infection can become more serious, leading to fatal consequences in people with weakened immune systems, especially in people with chronic liver disease. CONNECTED: Sea lice leave some Florida beachcombers with an unpleasant red, itchy rash
When the bacteria enter the bloodstream, the infection can become even more severe with a lethal rate of about 50 percent.
"Infections are rare, but exposures occur more frequently in the summer months from May to October, when the water is warmer," department officials said in an e-mail response. "This year, there were a total of 1
This is the first confirmed case of the Vibrio bacterium this year in Sarasota, according to Florida Health. Sarasota had no cases in 2017, and had three confirmed cases of bacteria and a single death from infection in 2016.
RELATED: "Do not eat this cereal": CDC links Honey Smack's Salmonella
Pinellas County had no cases this year. It reported three cases with one death in 2017 and two cases in 2016 – one of which led to death.
So far, Hillsborough County has had a single case that has led to death. There were four confirmed cases in 2017 and one in 2016 without any deaths.
Pasco County had no cases in 2018, and a non-fatal case in 2017 and 2017, respectively. Hernando County reported 2016 a fatal case and no cases in 2017 or 2018.