A second case of measles has been confirmed in the San Antonio area, said the Metropolitan Health District on Wednesday.
Anita Kurian, head of the Division of Communicable Diseases at Metro Health, said the case was confirmed by state lab tests and involved a person in her 20-year-old who was immunized against the highly contagious virus. The vaccine is not effective for a small percentage of people.
FIND FIRST STEPS: Get the latest news from San Antonio straight to your inbox.
The person is no longer infectious, she said The case refers to another case of measles, which was confirmed in the region earlier this month. This person was an adult who visited Guadalupe County, Philippines, where an active outbreak occurred.
The visitor had unmasked the Bexar County resident after visiting two San Antonio health facilities, Kurian said. The traveler was diagnosed as outpatient by the University Health System, and the case was confirmed by state health authorities on March 6.
The last time Bexar County had an officially confirmed case of measles was in 2007, when three people became infected State Data.
Lauren Caruba covers healthcare and medicine in the San Antonio and Bexar County region. Read them on our free website mySA.com and on our subscriber website ExpressNews.com. | email@example.com | Twitter: @LaurenCaruba