WASHINGTON (Reuters) – US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo demanded on Tuesday the cessation of hostilities in Yemen and said that the U.N. Negotiations to end the civil war should begin next month.
US. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks with reporters on 23 October 2018 during a US State Department press conference in Washington, Washington. REUTERS / Cathal McNaughton / File Photo
In a statement, Pompeo said missile and drone strikes by the Iranian Allied Houthi rebelled against Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates should stop, and the coalition led by Saudi Arabia must stop air strikes in all inhabited areas of Yemen.
Yemen is one of the poorest Arab countries and is facing the worst humanitarian crisis in the world as a result of a nearly four-year war in which the Houthis opposed the internationally-recognized government supported by Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and the West compete, is made worse.
"Now is the time to stop hostilities, including rocket and UAV attacks from Houthi-controlled areas into the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates," Pompeo said with an acronym for unmanned aerial vehicles.
"Subsequently, coalition air strikes must be discontinued in all populated areas of Yemen," he added.
The United States is helping the coalition by refueling and targeting their jets. Pompeo said last month that he has confirmed to the US Congress that Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are working to reduce the number of civilian casualties in Yemen.
Three quarters of the Yemeni population or 22 million people need help, and 8.4 million people are on the verge of starvation.
U. N. Special envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths said earlier this month that the United Nations hoped to resume inter-war consultations by November.
Both Pompeo and US Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis supported the efforts of the United States of America.
Speaking at a forum in Washington on Tuesday, Mattis defended US efforts to reduce the casualties of the coalition led by Saudi Arabia and said that all sides must take meaningful steps towards the ceasefire and negotiations over the next 30 days Companies.
Mattis added that the Saudis and Emiratis were ready to support Griffith's efforts to find a negotiated solution to the conflict.
"We must work towards a peace effort here. And we can not say that we will do it sometime in the future. We have to do that in the next 30 days, "said Mattis.
Pompeo said the consultations planned by Griffiths should begin in November "to take confidence-building measures to tackle the underlying issues of conflict, demilitarization of borders and concentration of all major weapons under international supervision."
The cessation of hostilities and the resumption of a political course would help alleviate the humanitarian crisis, Pompeo said.
coverage by Phil Stewart, Eric Beech, and Mohammad Zargham; Editing by Peter Cooney