Self-defence is an act of force to protect oneself from an attacker. It is a defending force used to prevent violence. There are several laws developed by the government for the right to self-defence. It is essential for every individual to practice this right at times of danger, and it is also vital for the government to protect such rights from exploitation.
Insight into the criminal law for self defence
- The UAE criminal law allows for self-defence to protect an individual’s legal rights, which means that a person can use self-defence to protect himself, his property, or his assets.
- According to Article 58 of the law, an individual cannot use the law of self-defence as an excuse to stop an authority from performing their duties. However, the use of the law can be possible if it hampers an individual’s rights.
- The law specifies four conditions where a force used for protection can be considered as self-defence, and these conditions are:
- The defender faces immediate danger of a crime or violence on himself, his property, assets or a third party and his property. The person should have reasonable grounds to believe the same.
- If the defender has no access or possibility to approach public authorities to acquire help and avoid such danger.
- The defender has no other route to avoid the danger.
- It is essential to repel the danger.
Importance of the right to self defence
- Ensures safety of an individual
Self-defence skills help ensure a person’s safety in dangerous situations. It is one of the most important rights of an individual, and the law seeks to protect such rights and promote safety within the region.
- Increases focus and awareness
Self-defence benefits individuals as it helps them from dealing with dangers while acquiring full awareness of their surroundings. This process also increases mental strength and focus, and helps an individual to deal with an unexpected attack.
- Helps to increase confidence
Self defence helps increase confidence by providing skills that help efficiently predict the occurrence of unwanted circumstances or danger.
- Provides physical power
Self defence not only increases strength but also increases physical power of an individual to overpower any fear during dangerous situations.
The criminal law in UAE differentiates between self-defence and assault. There are several laws developed to protect the rights of an individual and allowing them to prepare for possible danger. Self-defence is not only limited to protection of rights but also to promote a safer environment for the general public in the UAE. A criminal lawyer can assist in strengthening a case of self defence by referring to various laws and precedents.
Click Here for more details.