Reporter with focus on national security and law enforcement
23. The Senate voted overwhelmingly on Tuesday to add billions of dollars to a rapidly dwindling September 11 compensation fund. html Workers now sick or dying and an emotional political debate over the continuing deaths associated with the terrorist attacks of 2001 limit compensation program for decades at an estimated cost of $ 10.2 billion in the first 10 years.
It was passed from 97 to 2 years and received applause and applause from first responders and their families in the Senate Gallery. Sens. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) And Mike Lee (R-Utah) voted against the measure.
The measure has already been passed in the House of Representatives and will now be forwarded to the White House for signature by the President.  Following the vote, Stewart was hugged by a weeping John Feal, who worked as a construction worker and activist for 9/11 health programs for years after being injured while working on Ground Zero.
Stewart said that Feal and other advocates "raised this 9/11 community on their shoulders and carried them home, and I will always be so proud to be associated with them. , , , There were too many funerals, too many hospices. These families deserve better.
The moment was bittersweet, said Feal.
"We do not party, we do not play football," he said, "Too many people die or have died."
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (DN.Y. ) urged the passing of the bill and found that the NYPD's family was preparing to vote in New York Detective Christopher Cranston held a memorial service for him Cranston, who worked at Ground Zero and the New York City Landfill , where much of the World Trade Center refuse was investigated, died of cancer on Saturday.
"The eyes of the nation are looking into this chamber today to see if we can finally make it. Stand up for our September 11 heroes the rest of her life, "said Gillibrand," this should never have been a struggle, it should never have taken so long to pass this law and make it permanent. "
The problem of the extender The program's early-year appeal became an urgent requirement when the Special Supervisor monitored the fund, warning that future payouts would be cut by as much as 70 percent as more and more deaths and cancer cases accounted for the $ 7 billion that the previous laws for sick victims.
Last month, Ground Zero workers and their families held an emotional hearing with former NYPD detective Luis Alvarez, who called on Congress not to shut the door to others who would become ill after him. Alvarez died weeks later, and the legislature decided to include his name in the legislation.
According to Alvarez and Stewart, the house passed the measure by an overwhelming majority.
Stewart continued to attack the Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) For what he said was a long slow-legislature record for 9/11-related health issues. McConnell denied that he opposed the bill and issued a statement Tuesday morning calling for support.
Also with McConnell's support, the bill faced a temporary setback last week when two Republican senators, Paul and Lee, called for amendments that would require it. Government wants to cut spending elsewhere to finance the program.
These amendments were rejected by a large margin on Tuesday.
"Although I support our heroic first responders, I can not vote with a clear conscience for laws that remain to my horror Unfinished," said Paul.
The first incarnation of the 9/11 fund was launched for victims and family members immediately after the attacks of September 11, 2001, when commercial airliners were hijacked and the World Trade Center collapsed Lower Manhattan, the Pentagon and a field in Shanksville , Pennsylvania.
This fund was discontinued in 2003, but over the next ten years, physicians who tracked the health of Ground Zero workers found connections considering this threat and a variety of diseases, including cancer.
In 2010, Congress created a new version of the fund to provide healthcare and compensation to those who became ill after working at disaster sites, as well as those who lived or worked near those locations that also exposed were.
The current version of the Victims Compensation Fund is expected to cease accepting claims in 2020, but the new bill would extend the program by seven decades – presumably so long that it covers all those who have done so ever to be exposed to the toxic waste.
To date, the fund has paid approximately $ 5 billion to approximately 21,000 sick or dying applicants. About 700 payments were made for deaths that occurred long after the attacks. Officials have warned that in the near future, the number of deaths from ground-zero-related illnesses will exceed nearly 3,000 people killed on 11 September.