Imagine you go blind just because you showered while wearing your contact lenses.
This happened to an unfortunate 41-year-old woman in the UK who lost her left eye after contracting a parasite associated with wearing contact lenses
She came to her doctor and complained blurred vision, eye pain and photosensitivity, which had lasted for two months, according to a report published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
The woman, wearing soft disposable contact lenses, tested 20/200 on her left eye and "legally blinded" her by British standards. Luckily, her right eye was healthy.
When the doctors noticed a clouding in their cornea, they used a special dye, the fluorescein eye patch, which helps them recognize damage to the outer shell of the eye by coloring the affected areas green when exposed to a shine blue light.
After discovering a defect in the woman's cornea, she took samples of her eye that tested positive for Acanthamoeba keratitis, a rare parasitic amoeba known to cause blindness. Report authors, led by dr. Lanxing Fu of the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, say the condition is related to the use of contacts.
This is the second case of a parasite buried in an eyeball this month.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say that Acanthamoeba infection often travels through undisturbed water, soil and even air. Those who use contacts take risks if they do not take the proper precautions ̵
Although rare, there have been many documented cases of acanthamoeba keratitis. A British teenage girl reported that her infection had led to further complications after she had mysteriously developed a myalgic encephalomyelitis, also known as chronic fatigue syndrome, shortly after the treatment of the parasite.
The woman involved in the NEJM case study was treated with medications, but she did not regain vision due to her scarred cornea. Later, she underwent a partial cornea transplant that slightly improved her eyesight. The report also states that she no longer has pain.