Myles Garrett, star of Cleveland Browns, cited a precedent argument on Wednesday during his suspension hearing, citing the NFL's punishment of a former Houston Texans player in 2013, said a source, Dan Graziano of ESPN.
Five days after suspension Garrett and the NFLPA met in New York Wednesday morning to tear off Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph's helmet and beat him in the head.
Garrett and the NFLPA fought, sources Graziano said the worst was The punishment each player received for a similar incident was Houston's Antonio Smith, who was in 2013 due to two preseason games and one regular game The season was suspended because he swung his helmet at the then dolphin-offensive lineman Richie Incognito.
The NFL suspended Garrett for the remainder of this season, including possible postseason games, and announced last Friday that he must meet with the commissioner's office before b resumed for 2020.
Garrett argued that six games ̵
One source told Graziano that the Steelers believe Pouncey had received the ban for three games to avoid being in the 13th week playing rematch against the Browns.
According to Graziano, Pouncey's team claim that no other fight on the field in the history of the NFL has resulted in a longer suspension than a match was an appropriate punishment.
Even if Pouncey's suspension were reduced from three to two games on appeal, she would survive the Steelers' second game against the Browns.
Garrett's hearing started at 9:30 am CET on Wednesday The defensive end of Pro Bowl was less than two hours later. One source told Dianna Russini of ESPN that the NFL wanted to quickly decide on Garrett's appeal.
Brown coach Freddie Kitchens reaffirmed his support for Garrett on Wednesday, but acknowledged that the team had no "control" over whether the league reduced its barrier.
"We can not control that … We will only control what we can control," said Kitchens. "We have nothing to do with it, Myles has a great performance, but more importantly, Myles will do well."
Rudolph called Garrett's "Bush League" and "Coward" actions during his postselling press conference following Pittsburgh's 21-7 loss to Cleveland last Thursday night.
But the second-year quarterback said on Wednesday that he regretted his role in the brawl and said he should have "done a better job of dealing with this situation".
"I have no illnesses sake to Myles Garrett," said Rudolph, who was not suspended, but expects a fine. "Great respect for his abilities as a player, and I know if Myles could return, he would change the situation."
"As for my involvement last week, there is no acceptable excuse. All in all, I should have done better to maintain my composure in this situation and to lag behind [what] I think is Pittsburgh Steeler and member of the NFL [not]. "