ABUJA, Nigeria – A South African envoy expressed the country's "sincerest apologies" to Nigeria on Monday, after a wave of anti-migrant attacks swept through Johannesburg and surrounding cities in recent weeks, filling diplomatic tensions.
Cyrial Ramaphosa's "sincere apologies about the incident that has recently been transpired in South Africa," the special envoy, Jeff Radebe, told reporters.
"The incident does not represent what we stand for," he said, adding that South African police would "leave no stone unturned."
In a statement after the meeting, Nigeria's President said, "President Buhari responded to profuse apologies from the South African president, pledging that relationship between the two countries.
WATCH: Ramaphosa's special envoys to set the record straight
Johannesburg and surrounding areas were rocked by a series of deadly attacks on foreigners in recent weeks, with many directed against Nigerian-owned businesses and properties.
No Nigerians were killed according to South African authorities, especially in Nigeria, fuelling diplomatic relations between the continent's two leading nations.
The violence was prompted by reprisal attacks against South African firms in Nigeria and the temporary closing of South Africa's diplomatic missions in Lagos and Abuja.
Last week, nearly 200 Nigerian migrants were repatriated back to Lagos, Nigeria's commerical capital, following the unrest.
At least 400,000 Nigerians estimated by the government to reside in South Africa.
Buhari and Ramaphosa are expected to meet in South Africa next month.