قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / US / Stephon Clark shooting: Autopsy requested by his family showed that he was shot eight times, mostly in his back

Stephon Clark shooting: Autopsy requested by his family showed that he was shot eight times, mostly in his back



Stephon Clark, the unarmed 22-year-old killed by police in Sacramento earlier this month, was shot eight times, with most bullets hitting him in the back, according to an independent autopsy requested by his family lawyers has been. 19659002] These bullets – some of which hit Clark in the back, neck, and thighs – caused extensive bleeding, said Dr. Bennet Omalu, a forensic pathologist. At least one had pierced Clark's lung, he said.

"His death was not instantaneous," said Omalu, who is known for his role in highlighting shocking damage to footballers, at a press conference on Friday.

Omalu announced his findings in the midst of continuing public anger over Clark's death. The day before, hundreds of mourners gathered to mourn Clark's emotional funeral, which alluded to the tensions in the community.

Clark, a black man and a father of two, was shot dead by police from Sacramento on March 1

8th. The police in the Californian capital said they responded to a call that night when someone broke into vehicles.

Shooting was done on shots taken with car cameras and a helicopter video. This footage showed Clark running into the backyard of his grandmother's house, where officers fired at him 20 times. Officials have not said how many times they believe Clark was beaten.

The officers said they fired because Clark had a gun, but the police have since said he only holds an iPhone.

The Corner Office of Sacramento County did not immediately respond to a message seeking details on Clark's autopsy Friday. The records in the districts only showed the date of Clark's death and described him as a 22-year-old black man. [1965909] Clark is one of at least 269 people shot dead by police so far this year, according to the Washington Post Death Records database. Since the Post tracked these shootings in January 2015, Sacramento police have shot six people. Including Clark, five of the six were black men.

The release of video footage capturing Clark's death has given way to repeated protests in Sacramento. Protesters have prevented fans from attending NBA games, marched on the streets of the city, and gathered at a city council meeting Tuesday evening to protest.

Stevonte Clark, who wore a shirt with his brother's face, sat during Mayor Darrell Steinberg's (19659012) said in an interview the next day that he was "extremely aware" of the concerns that many had regarding accountability Police have said in recent years

"There is deep pain and anxiety" in Sacramento, he said. "It is our job to take some of that pain and help translate the anguish and sadness and historical pain [of black communities] into tangible and real changes."

Mourners hug each other before the memorial service for Stephon Clark on Thursday. (Jeff Chiu / AP)

Benjamin Crump, an attorney for Clark's family who spoke before Omalu on Friday, called the independent autopsy a "solemn commitment." He said Omalu's findings contradicted the police history of Clark's death, and Omalu said that Clark "did not face the officers" when he was killed.

Clark's relatives and civil rights activists demanded full transparency in the investigation of his death as well as charges against the two officers involved.

Close to 1,000 people are shot dead every year by police, according to The Post's database. Only a handful of these killings per year lead to criminal charges, and convictions are even rarer, sparking intense criticism from civil rights activists across the country.

The Sacramento police investigates Clark's death while the Sacramento County Procuratorate also carries out its own review.

Earlier this week, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra (D) and Sacramento Police Director Daniel Hahn announced that the State Department of Justice was providing independent oversight of the police investigation in

. This announcement came the same day Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry said his office will not pursue criminal charges against two Baton Rouge police officers who shot dead on Alton Sterling in 2016.

Hahn said he has confidence in the investigative capacity of his department. I thought that given the "extremely high emotions, anger and injuries in our city," it was best for the community and the police to bring the state into play.

"Our city is critical Show now, and I believe that will help build trust and confidence in our community's investigation," said Hahn.

Alex Horton contributed to this report.

Further reading:

Baton Rouge Police Officers Do not Get Deadly Shots on Alton Sterling

A deputy in Houston shot and killed an unarmed black man – Days after Stephon Clark's death


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *