قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / US / Student protesters take over the administration building of Howard University

Student protesters take over the administration building of Howard University



The protest and sit-in in the university administration building began on Thursday morning and grew rapidly. At one point, a large group of protesters launched the Rihanna song "Bitch Better Have My Money."

Maya McCollum, a 19-year-old freshman who helped organize the sit-in, continued Friday on which news of the financial aid's misappropriated money was "the straw that overcame the cask" [19659003] We take over the A-building! #StudentPowerHU https://t.co/8pKfopAX8O

̵

1;
Tyrone out of financial help (@ventrilloquism_)
March 29, 2018

Frederick issued a statement appealing to HU Resist's claims. "Howard University has brought forth generations of student activists, and we will always continue on that path," Dr. Frederick.

The statement contained a list of claims and information from HU Resist about efforts that the university has made or planned for any item – though he did not address the call for his resignation.

He ended by saying, "Your concerns are valid, we listen, we are determined to make joint changes to drive Howard forward."

The protesters did not seem moved by his response. In the administration building on Friday afternoon, where a list of demands was scribbled on large sheets and hung over a main entrance, dozens of students gathered in the foyer chanting "whose school? Our school!" They had been there since Thursday afternoon, Mrs. McCollum said.

Inside, empty Dunkin 'Donuts and Red Bull cans were strewn across the floor.

Rows of chairs blocked the entrance and the glass doors were marked with handwritten signs: "STUDENTS ONLY. (ID REQUIRED.)"

"The staff work for us, not the other way around," said Zephaniah Galloway, 19, freshman from Cleveland and member of HU Resist.

Outside the building, the members of the board of trustees were waiting for an afternoon meeting with protesters. Eugene Newman, a board member named Rock, declined to comment on the financial aid scandal, giving a full-bodied high-five to a student protest that greeted him.

The meeting did not soothe HU Resist. The group said on Friday night that the chamber did not take their demands seriously or even read them completely and that would still occupy the building where it would control all entrances

Die on Wednesday The President's statement issued by the university did not reveal how much money was possibly misappropriated by members of the grant service. But it said six employees had been "fired for gross misconduct and neglect of duties." Dr. Frederick added, "We will consider this matter appropriate for the prosecution."

In a statement on Friday afternoon, the board of trustees said it was up to Dr. Ing. Frederick in the treatment of financial aid and in his response to the demands of HU Resist.

In December 2016, Dr. Ing. Dr. Frederick and the Board of Trustees aware that financial aid may have been misused. Frederick said swiftly to initiate an internal investigation. The university hired an external auditor to investigate. These results, which were reported to the President in May 2017, confirmed that the appropriations had been used from 2007 to 2016.

Dr. Frederick said he reported the matter to the US Department of Education in July 2017. Howard's investigation ended in September, and the six employees were fired.

In a letter to students on Wednesday, Dr. Frederick: "I feel strongly that any dollar taken from a deserving student for abuse or fraud is unacceptable and we will continue to act swiftly against those involved in this misconduct."

Continue reading the main story


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *