HOUSTON, Texas (CBS Local) – A teenager in Texas is fortunate to be alive after what he saw as sore muscles was a deadly disease.
Seventeen-year-old Jared Shamburger First, he noticed the pain after a strenuous arm workout with his family. The teenager from Houston told reporters that he felt he had to "catch up" with his older brother and father, who had been lifting weights for years.
"It was super-stupid sore," Shamburger said about the WWAY. It hurt when touched, it was swollen. "The condition of the teenager made his mother look for answers online. She soon combined her son's symptoms with a sometimes fatal disease.
"The Mama Bear in me somehow took over and I called the pediatrician and said, I really believe that my son has Rhabdo," said Judy Shamburger
affected parent was correct; Jared had contracted rhabdomyolysis. The disease breaks down muscle tissue and releases a harmful protein into the blood. If left untreated, it can potentially damage the kidneys and, in extreme cases, lead to death. Rhabdo can be triggered by an injury, an infection or simply by overdosing in the gym.
The adolescent was hospitalized for five days, but is expected to fully recover. Doctors say muscle aches, weakness, or severe swelling after an intense workout can all be warning signs that you should go to a hospital for examination.