قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / Teen dies of tapeworm egg infestation in the brain

Teen dies of tapeworm egg infestation in the brain



Drs. Nishanth Dev and S. Zafar Abbas of the ESIC Medical College and Hospital in Faridabad reported that the patient who had appeared in the emergency room with a swelling above his right eye had tonic-clonic seizures. Formerly known as "grand mal" incidents, these neuronal disorders cause stiffened muscles and loss of consciousness.

His parents said that their son had pain in his right groin for a week. A physical examination revealed that he had confusion and tenderness in his right testicles.

To learn more about his condition, the medical staff performed an MRI scan and saw damage from cysts in his cerebral cortex (the outer mantle of brain tissue) and the brainstem, including the cerebellum at the hip, were caused at the back of the head over the spinal cord.

Diagnosis: Neurocysticercosis, a parasitic disease of the brain that is caused when someone has swallowed tapeworm eggs that have died in the stool of someone who has an intestinal tapeworm. The larvae crawl out of the eggs and into muscle and brain tissue where they form cysts.

The doctors also discovered cysts in the right eye and right testicle.

Due to the number and location of the cysts, his doctors decided against treatment of the young man with antiparasitic drugs. These can aggravate cerebral hemorrhage and inflammation and lead to vision loss. Instead, the patient received an anti-inflammatory drug, dexamethasone, and antiepileptic drugs.

Two weeks after his arrival at the ER, the patient died, reports Dev and Abbas.

  Parasites may lurk in their sushi, warn doctors
Cysticercosis infections occur worldwide, although these parasitic invasions of the human body mostly occur in rural areas of developing countries According to data The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention allows pigs to roam there and sanitary practices are poor. Although these infections may be rare in people who live in countries where pigs do not have contact with human fecal matter, cysticercosis can be acquired anywhere in the world, including the United States and other Western nations.

The symptoms depend on the location of cysts; Sometimes lumps form under the skin, and sometimes confusion is the only sign of the damage that occurs in the brain. Symptoms can occur months or even years after infection, usually when the cysts die off and cause swollen tissue.

In general, these infections require anti-parasitic drugs in combination with anti-inflammatory drugs. However, surgery may be necessary if a patient is unresponsive or to reduce the swelling of the brain. The symptoms can be cautious even if the paralytic infection itself no longer requires attention or treatment.

Patients with cysticercosis can not transmit their disease to other people. Only people with a tapeworm infection in the gut can spread potentially life-threatening eggs if hygiene is lacking or not respected.


Source link