قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / Teenager dies of tapeworm egg infestation in the brain, study says

Teenager dies of tapeworm egg infestation in the brain, study says



An 18-year-old complaining of seizures at an Indian hospital emergency room had brain parasites, according to a case study published Thursday in the New England Journal of Medicine. Dr. Nishanth Dev and dr. S. Zafar Abbas of the ESIC Medical College and Hospital in Faridabad reported that the patient who had appeared in the emergency department with a swelling above his right eye had tonic-clonic seizures. Formerly known as "grand mal" attacks, these nerve disorders cause stiffened muscles and loss of consciousness. His parents said that their son had pain in his right groin for a week. A physical examination revealed that he had tenderness in his right testicles. To learn more about his condition, the medical staff performed an MRI scan and saw damage caused by cysts in his cerebral cortex (the outer mantle of brain tissue) as well as in the brain trunk, including the cerebellum, which is behind the head Diagnosis: Neurocysticercosis, a parasitic disease of the brain that is caused when someone swallows tapeworms that have died in the stool of someone who has an intestinal tapeworm. The larvae crawl out of the eggs and into muscle and brain tissue where they form cysts. The doctors discovered cysts in the right eye of the patient and in the right testicles. Due to the number and location of the cysts, his doctors did not opt ​​for treatment of the young man with antiparasitic drugs. These can aggravate cerebral hemorrhage and inflammation and lead to vision loss. Instead, the patient received an anti-inflammatory drug, dexamethasone, and antiepileptic drugs. Two weeks after his arrival at the emergency room, the patient died, reports Dev and Abbas. Cysticercosis infections occur worldwide, although these parasitic invasions of the human body are more common. They occur in rural areas of developing countries where pigs are allowed to roam and where sanitation practices are poor, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Although these infections may be rare among people who live in countries where pigs do not have contact with human feces, cysticercosis can be acquired anywhere in the world, including the United States and other Western nations. Symptoms depend on the location of the cysts; Sometimes lumps form under the skin, and sometimes confusion is the only sign of the damage that occurs in the brain. Symptoms can occur months or even years after infection, usually when the cysts die off and cause swollen tissue. These infections generally require anti-parasitic drugs in combination with anti-inflammatory drugs. If a patient does not do so, surgery may be required to respond or reduce brain swelling. The symptoms can be offered even if the paralytic infection itself no longer requires treatment or treatment. Patients with cysticercosis can not transmit their disease to other people. Only people with a tapeworm infection in the gut can spread potentially life-threatening eggs if hygiene is lacking or not respected.

An 1

8-year-old boy complaining of seizures at an Indian hospital emergency room had brain parasites, according to a case study published Thursday in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Dr. Nishanth Dev and dr. S. Zafar Abbas of the ESIC Medical College and Hospital in Faridabad reported that the patient who had appeared in the emergency department with a swelling above his right eye had tonic-clonic seizures. Formerly known as "grand mal" incidents, these neuronal disorders cause stiffened muscles and loss of consciousness.

His parents said that their son had pain in his right groin for a week. A physical examination revealed that he had tenderness in his right testicles.

To learn more about his condition, the medical staff performed an MRI scan and also saw damage caused by cysts in his cerebral cortex (the outer coat of brain tissue) B. The brainstem, including the cerebellum, the sitting at the back of the head over the spinal cord.

Diagnosis: Neurocysticercosis, a parasitic disorder of the brain that is caused when someone swallowed tapeworm eggs that someone has swallowed in the stool has a bowel tapeworm. The larvae crawl out of the eggs and into muscle and brain tissue where they form cysts.

The doctors also discovered cysts in the right eye and right testis of the patient.

Because of the number and location of the cysts, his doctors decided against treating the young man with antiparasitic drugs. These can aggravate cerebral hemorrhage and inflammation and lead to vision loss. Instead, the patient received an anti-inflammatory drug, dexamethasone, and antiepileptic drugs.

Two weeks after his arrival at the emergency room, the patient died, Dev and Abbas report.

Cysticercosis infections occur worldwide, although these are parasitic. Invasions of the human body occur mainly in rural areas of developing countries where pigs are allowed to roam and in which sanitary practices are poor, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and prevention. Although these infections may be rare among people who live in countries where pigs do not have contact with human feces, cysticercosis can be acquired anywhere in the world, including the United States and other Western nations.

The symptoms depend on the localization of the disease from cysts; Sometimes lumps form under the skin, and sometimes confusion is the only sign of the damage that occurs in the brain. Symptoms can occur months or even years after infection, usually when the cysts begin to die and cause swollen tissue.

In general, these infections require anti-parasitic drugs in combination with anti-inflammatory drugs, however, in a patient requiring surgery may not respond or reduce the swelling of the brain. The symptoms can be offered even when the paralytic infection itself no longer requires attention or treatment.

Patients with cysticercosis can not transmit their disease to other people. Only people with a tapeworm infection in the gut can spread potentially life-threatening eggs if proper hygiene is lacking or not respected.

AlertMe


Source link