A Texas man fishing in the Gulf of Mexico has died after contracting carnivorous bacteria commonly found in coastal waters where oysters live, health officials said.
The Health Department of Corpus Christi-Nueces said Tuesday that the elderly patient was "wade fishing" with open wounds before being taken to a hospital with "severe leg pain and classic signs" of a bacterial Vibrio infection.
In a press release by health officials, some of these symptoms have been described as blistering skin lesions, fever, nausea, severe pain and vomiting.
MEAT-EATING BACTERIA IN RAUSES OYSTERS KILL FLORIDA MAN, HEALTH ACCOUNTS SAY
The unidentified man died Saturday, only 24-36 hours after admission to hospital, despite the extreme measures to rescue him, including Amputation.
Dr. Emilie Prot, Regional Director of the Department of Health of Texas, told Fox News that while there are many types of Vibrio bacteria, this patient has died of Vibrio vulnificus – a carnivorous bacterium.
Vibrio is well-known in coastal waters, where oysters live and cause an estimated 80,000 illnesses and at least 100 deaths annually in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Ritz Cracker Products Fear Salmonella
Humans can contract the bacteria by either exposing a wound to infected water or eating raw or raw seafood.
Just last week, a Florida man died eating an oyster with the same sort of bacteria that New York Post reported.
The CDC says most infections occur from May to October because of the increase in water temperatures.