قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / The athlete, blinded by a terrible eye infection by wearing contact lenses in the SHOWER, warns others

The athlete, blinded by a terrible eye infection by wearing contact lenses in the SHOWER, warns others



Contact lenses are not for everyone. However, if you use them, you must pay close attention to eye hygiene to avoid the presence of nasty organisms in your eye. Just ask this guy from the UK, who lost sight in one eye.

Nick Humphreys, 29, of Shrewsbury, Shropshire, plays amateur football and needs glasses. Playing contact sports with glasses seems to be dangerous. Players who need glasses would, of course, opt for contacts. "In my mid-twenties, I started to get moving, thinking back then that my glasses were a massive obstacle," he explained.

He overcame his fear of using contact lenses and after getting used to them, he would wear them most days. "On a normal morning, I woke up, put in my lenses and went to work at the gym, then jumped in the shower before going to the office," he told The Sun.

Frequently Humphreys wore his contacts in the shower, and one day in January 2018 he noticed a painful scratch on his eye and used eye drops to control the pain while waiting for the optician's test results , The results showed that he had an infection caused by Acanthamoeba Keratitis (AK), a small organism that can drill into the eye through a scratch or a small incision, and it has not returned. "I was on my way to work and my vision was completely in my right eye," he recalls.

Due to the pain in his eye, Humphreys had been unable to leave the house, let alone go to work, but knew he somehow had to make it back to see the doctor.

"I do not know how I managed not to collide, but it did not take long for me to realize I had to go back to the hospital." Humphreys told The Sun.

In addition to the pain and poor eyesight on In one eye, the physical appearance of the injury has affected its mental state. "I felt like I was at the bottom and the only thing that would make me happy – playing football – was not an option anymore," he said.

"The reality of the situation had really hit me, I would admit. I myself have been gone since it all happened and I had a bloody eye that I had to cover with an eyepatch – it looked like something from The Exorcist stems. "

Now, two operations have removed the infection from his eye, and he is able to participate in the activities he loves, but his eyesight has not yet returned.

" After seeing the infection I went to the gym every other day and played soccer three times a week until I was handcuffed to home for six months and willing to lose my life, he told the Daily Mail, "Of course I did not want to be blind with my right eye but at least, knowing that the infection had disappeared, I was able to get my life moving again. Finally I could work again and go to the gym. "

Illustration – Shutterstock | Valeri Potapova

The recovering footballer now helps raise awareness of the dangers of swimming or showering through the charitable struggle for vision while wearing contacts.

"I can honestly say that if I had the slightest idea that this was just a remote possibility, I would never have had contacts. It's crucial that people out there know that this is reality, and this can be done through something as simple as showering. If I can see again, I will not carry any more contacts.

A study by UCL and Moorfields Eye Hospital researchers from 2018 found a threefold increase in contact lens eye wearers in Southeast England over the past seven years, Science Daily reported.

"This infection is still fairly rare and usually affects 2.5 out of every 100,000 users of contact lenses per year in south-east England, but is largely preventable. This increase in cases highlights the need for contact lens users to be aware of the risks, "said lead author of the study, Professor John Dart of Moorfields Eye Hospital.

While everyone can be infected by AK, contact lens users are at their highest risk.

Illustration – Shutterstock | Kateryna Kon

Why should not you swim or shower while wearing contact lenses?

When swimming or showering with contact lenses there is a risk that a person will go blind due to parasitic infections.

Acanthamoeba Keratitis (AK), a waterborne amoeba that occurs around the world, can infect the cornea – the "clear window" on the front of the eye.

The amoeba can drill into the eye and cause complete vision loss within a few weeks.

An analysis of all incidents recorded in the past 18 years found that 86 percent of patients with floating lenses had swum according to a study published in the British Journal of Ophthalmology.

Illustration – Shutterstock | Maridav

Contact lenses can cause minor abrasions in the eye that make it easier for the amoebae to attach to water when the eye makes contact.

In addition to the danger of swimming, the scientists pointed to the risk of rinsing out lenses with tap water.

Acanthamoeba, which feeds on bacteria, can be present in all forms of water, including lakes, oceans, rivers, swimming pools, whirlpools, and showers.

They can also be contained in tap water and soil.

For treatment, antiseptic drops are usually used to kill the amoeba. These may need to be taken every hour during the first few days, even when you are sleeping.

Source: Moorfields Eye Hospital


Source link