Raleigh, N.C. – A North Carolina man died of a rare brain-eating amoeba after swimming in an artificial lake in a water park. The US Department of State Health and Human Resources said in a press release that the infection was caused by the amoeba naturally occurring in warm freshwater during the summer.
The unnamed person fell ill after swimming on Fantasy Lake Water Park in Hope Mills, Cumberland County on July 12, as a brain-eating amoeba.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, people are usually infected when contaminated water enters the body through the nose. Symptoms generally begin about five days after infection, and death occurs about five days later, according to CDC.
The amoeba can cause serious illness for up to nine days after exposure.
According to health authorities, the amoeba only existed from 1962 to 2018 Infected 145 people in the US. Five of these cases occurred in North Carolina.
Greensboro lawyer Justin Plummer identified the victim as Eddie Gray of Guilford County. In an email, he said that he represents Gray's wife and estate.
The Amoeba also killed a college student from Ohio who went underwater in 2016 at the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte. The family of 18-year-old Lauren Seitz from Westerville, Ohio, filed a lawsuit in April for a death. Seitz died eleven days after being thrown overboard during a church trip in 2016 and submerged in the center.