SANAA, Yemen – A coalition led by Saudi Arabia against Yemeni Shiite rebels on Saturday voiced their regret and pledged to hold the leaders responsible for "errors" in amonth in which dozens, including many children, were killed, including many children who caused international condemnation.
The coalition's statement comes after its investigation team, known as the Joint Incidents Assessments Team, found an air raid on a bus in August in Saada province in August. A busy market included "errors", including non-compliance Measures to minimize collateral damage. At least 51
The statement by the official Saudi press agency said the coalition accepted the findings of its commission of inquiry and "it will take all legal action to hold to account those who have been proven to have committed mistakes" once they have officially received the results. She also pledged to coordinate with the Yemeni government to compensate the civilian population.
Mansour Ahmed al-Mansour, JIAT's legal counsel, earlier said the airstrike had been launched on the basis of intelligence information that high-ranking Houthi rebels, a legitimate military target, were on the bus. He noted, however, that the operation included errors, including a delay in conducting the air strike and another in the establishment of a strike arrangement.
He called for coalition forces to initiate legal procedures to ensure accountability and provide reparations for civilian victims. He called on the coalition to review its rules of engagement and to ensure the commitment of the armed forces.
Last week, Human Rights Watch released a report criticizing JIAT's investigations into the coalition's alleged violations of "impartiality and independence" and failed to find a "clear path" to compensate for civilian casualties.
The civil war in Yemen, in which the Saudi government's coalition against Iranian rebels, known as Houthis, has been raging for more than three years. The coalition supports Yemen's internationally recognized government of Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi and aims to bring them back to power.
The coalition has been criticized for its airstrike campaign that killed civilians and destroyed hospitals and markets. Meanwhile, the Houthis have been charged with using landmines, killing and injuring civilians. They have also targeted religious minorities and imprisoned opponents.
The rebels also often attempt cross-border attacks on Saudi Arabia and have attacked the ships of the Red Sea kingdom.
Saturday's rebel leader Al-Masirah TV Channel reports that the Houthis accused a Saudi Arabian "battleship" off the southern Jizan province in response to a previous airstrike that killed at least five fishermen off the Yemeni coast responsible coalition against the Iranian-oriented Houthis. The report did not contain any details about the victims.
There was no immediate opinion of the coalition on the incident.
Houthi attacks on Saudi ships prompted Saudi Arabia's state-owned oil company Aramco to temporarily suspend oil deliveries in late July. They will be resumed later after security measures have been taken.
© 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, transmitted, rewritten or redistributed.