Juul announced Thursday that the sale of its popular fruity e-cigarette flavors will cease immediately, before Trump expects all flavored e-cigarettes to be taken off the market.
Juul stopped selling its flavored e-cigarettes in the past year – cigarettes in retail outlets under pressure from the Food and Drug Administration. Customers could find the flavors – cream, mango, fruit, cucumber – only on their age-restricted website.
Trump administration officials said they would remove all flavored pods, including mint and menthol, and leave only tobacco-flavored e-cigarettes on the site. Juul said it will continue to sell its mint and menthol nicotine pods in the meantime. The company announced that the new policy will enter into force immediately.
"We continue to review our policies and practices before the FDA flavor policy and have not made final decisions," said Austin spokesman Austin Finan in a statement. "We refrain from lobbying the government on the Draft Flavors Directive and will fully support and comply with the final directive when it comes into force." Last month it was announced that all flavored e-cigarettes should be withdrawn from the market until they were reviewed by the FDA and approved for return to the shelves. The then administrators said the plan would be released within weeks. They have not produced any yet.
Correction: This article has been updated to correct that it was the Trump administration that demanded that all flavors except tobacco be removed from the market.