People spend the majority of their time at home. It’s where their family and pets live; it’s where friends come to visit and it’s where you tend to feel safest. This is why it’s so important that we maintain a healthy home – because we want to make sure that it’s as safe as we think it is.
Mould build-up can happen to anyone, especially if there is an issue with too much moisture in your home. The most common places for mould to grow include fabrics, kitchens, carpets, bathrooms, laundry areas, and even window sills – basically anywhere there is a risk of water getting where it shouldn’t be.
Consider Window Replacement
The experts at Golden Windows recommend completely replacing your windows if you notice mould developing around the sills. Mould can be black, white, or pretty much any colour, and it often looks like a stain or a smudge and can smell musty.
Wooden frames are particularly susceptible mould build-up because wood naturally retains moisture well and acts as a food for the fungus. The best kinds of frames are vinyl but if you do prefer wooden interior frames then it’s important to make sure that your windows have been properly installed and sealed. That’s why it’s essential that you get a professional window company to do your installation work for you.
Mould Noticeable Health Effects
The elderly, children, people with weakened immune systems and other medical conditions are typically more vulnerable to the effects of mould than others will be. Someone who suffers from asthma or other respiratory issues will also be more sensitive.
If mould is a problem in your home you may notice an increase of:
- Shortness of breath and wheezing
- Phlegm and coughing
- Nose, throat, and eye irritations
- Symptoms of asthma
- Various allergic reactions
Because everyone is different, they will react to mould in different ways, making it difficult to identify when it is the source of a symptom. Thankfully, mould can be easy to spot as long as you know what to look out for.
As already mentioned mould can come in a number of colours, but the most common ones are black and white. The first places to look are areas that commonly accumulate moisture like:
- Under sinks
- The walls and floors in your bathroom
- Any areas of your home that are noticeably damp
If you do notice it growing anywhere, never touch it or handle it. Disturbing the mould can cause it to release even more spores into the air.
There are lots of handy websites that explain how to safely remove mould. When working, make sure you’re wearing proper protective gear and that you have plastic sheeting and proper ventilation as well. The idea is to remove the problem without having it spread to other areas of your home.
While DIY is okay for small jobs, if you have a huge infestation on your hand then it is best that you call in a professional to take care of it.
Prevention is Key
It’s always best to prevent a problem before it starts – take steps now to reduce moisture in your home and stop leaks, and you’ll have nothing to worry about.