The guardsman had been in the hospital since March 21.
“Today is a sad day for the Department of Defense as we lost our first US service member – active, reserve or guard – to coronavirus,” Defense Secretary Mark Esper said in the statement.
“This is a staggering loss to our military community, and our condolences to his family, friends, civilians and the entire National Guard. The news of this loss reinforces our determination to work more closely with our interactions to help spread COVID-1
The news of the individual’s death comes as coronavirus cases continue to increase within the U.S. military, exceeding 600 as of Monday morning.
According to the Ministry of Defense, 26 of these cases had to be hospitalized. 34 service members have recovered from their illness.
A US military-dependent defense contractor had died of the virus and the total number of cases involving the Department of Defense exceeded 1,000 on Monday.
“The measures taken by the army to curb the spread of COVID-19 have proven to be inadequate,” the internal order says.
This is a groundbreaking story and is being updated.