قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Science / The NASA executive gives up weeks after its election to lead the 2024 Lunar Plan

The NASA executive gives up weeks after its election to lead the 2024 Lunar Plan



CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – A leading NASA employee hired in April to determine the strategy for the return of the astronauts to the moon by 2024 has resigned

Mark Sirangelo, who six weeks ago assisted NASA -Administrator Jim Bridenstine left the agency when NASA abandoned a restructuring plan due to a cool reception on Capitol Hill, Bridenstine said in a statement.

Two people close Sirangelo was escorted on Wednesday after his resignation from NASA headquarters in Washington.

He left after the legislature rejected NASA's proposal to establish a separate direction within the space agency to monitor future lunar missions and eventually develop human exploration of Mars.

  Mark Sirangelo.
Mark Sirangelo. Reuters The proposal was not accepted at this time, so we will maintain our current organizational structure, "said Bridenstine. "Given that NASA is no longer pursuing the new mission directorate, Mark has decided to take other opportunities."

Last week, the Trump administration called on Congress to increase NASA spending next year by $ 1.6 billion as a "down payment" for the accelerated target of Americans returning to the moon by 2024, more than half a century after the end of the US Apollo moon program.

The most recent initiative was named Artemis, after the goddess of hunting and the moon in Greek mythology and the twin sister of Apollo.

NASA's goal was to bring manned spacecraft back to the lunar surface by 2028, after bringing a "gateway" station into lunar orbit by 2024. 19659002] The two knowledgeable people said that Sirangelo's fall had been sealed by growing skepticism that 2024 would be a realistic deadline for moon landings.

In its statement, Bridenstine said the agency was still investigating what organizational changes "are necessary to maximize efficiency and reach the final state of landing the first woman and the next man on the moon by 2024."

Back to the previous plan, which was to land in 2028, "the NASA chief told reporters at a press conference.

NASA announced Thursday that it had selected the space company Maxar Technologies Inc. as the first contractor to help construct the Gateway outpost.


Source link