FILE PHOTO: Bottles of Johnson & Johnson baby powder for drugstore in New York on October 15, 2015. REUTERS / Lucas Jackson
March 28, 2019
By Tina Bellon
(Reuters) – A New Jersey jury on Wednesday released Johnson & Johnson from liability filed by a man who claimed asbestos in the company's talcum powder products had caused its mesothelioma. 19659004] In the case of plaintiff Ricardo Rimondi
the jury voted unanimously at the Middlesex County Superior Court in New Brunswick, just a few miles from J & J's headquarters.
J & J, who is exposed to around 1
Johnson & Johnson has also filed three more cases of mesothelioma talc in the US on Wednesday. California, Oklahoma and New York, Chris Panatier, plaintiff lawyer, told Reuters.
Panatier declined to provide further details, citing secrecy agreements.
In a statement, J & J said to the settlements, "There are unique situations in which the regime is appropriate."
J & J said that the safety of his talk is paramount and the safety of the baby bug continues defend vigorously.  "We do not have an organized program to handle Johnson's Baby Powder cases, nor are we planning a resolution program," the company said.
Referring to Rimondi's ruling, J & J said the company's track record in the Talk process has underscored "decades of clinical evidence and scientific research by medical experts around the world," highlighting the safety of Johnson's Baby Powder supported.
J & J Shares, the company was down slightly, was rated positive after the jury's verdict, closing at $ 138.70 at $ 13.
Lawyers of 58-year-old Rimondi could not be reached for comment.
Rimondi was diagnosed with mesothelioma in 2016, a cancer associated with asbestos exposure.
He and his wife sued J & J in 2017. They claimed to have caused Rimondi's lifelong exposure to Johnson's Baby Powder and Shower to Shower, another powdered product containing talc sold by J & J in the past his illness.
The jury delivered its verdict on behalf of the company after only half an hour of deliberations, according to a live stream from the Courtroom View Network case.
The health conglomerate has so far faced 12 lawsuits by plaintiffs who had used asbestos talc caused their mesothelioma.
J & J has now been released from liability in four lawsuits, with five others leading to legal proceedings and court hearings. Three juries found J & J guilty and awarded a total of $ 172 million in damages. J & J appeals against these judgments.
The majority of the 13,000 talk lawsuits against the company involve claims to ovarian cancer. Juries in these cases have hit the company with judgments of up to $ 4.69 billion.
Some of the ovarian cancer judgments were withdrawn from legal remedies for technical reasons, while other company remedies are ongoing.
"It remains true that of all the verdicts condemned against Talk & Talk against Johnson & Johnson, who have gone through the appeal process, every verdict has been lifted," the company said in its statement on Wednesday.
The plaintiffs' lawyers have recently focused on arguing that asbestos contamination in talc causes ovarian cancer and mesothelioma.
In December, Reuters released a report stating that the company knew that the talc in its crude and finished powders sometimes gave a positive test of low levels of asbestos from the 70s to the early 2000s – test results, which the company did not disclose to regulators or consumers.
J & J denies the findings of the Reuters report, which it describes as inaccurate and misleading. Emphasizing the safety of its baby powder, the company points out that repeated powder testing has never found asbestos and that it has worked fully and openly with the US Food and Drug Administration and other global regulators.
(Report by Tina Bellon in New York, edited by Bill Berkrot and Noeleen Walder)