An outbreak of contaminated ground beef E. coli has affected 177 people in ten states, said the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Friday).
Of those infected, 21 were hospitalized. No deaths were reported. The infected people are between the ages of 1 and 84 years and the average age is 18 years.
The cases include people who have eaten beef since March 1, the agency said – but no supplier, distributor or beef has been identified.
"Traceback investigations are underway to detect the source of raw beef minced in grocery stores and restaurants where ill people were eating," the CDC said.
The Authority continued, "Illnesses after March 29 may not be reported yet, as there is a passing time between the illness of a person with E. coli and the reporting of the disease, which lasts on average two to three weeks. "
The CDC said it identified ground beef this month as the outbreak responsible food, which at this time involved 109 cases of disease in six affected states.
Of the states affected, the outbreak is Georgia, Kentucky , Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia, Indiana, Florida, Illinois, Mississippi, and Minnesota.
Meanwhile, Grant Park Packing has recalled more than 53,000 pounds of raw ground beef products for possible E. coli contamination, said the US Department of Agriculture Food Inspection The company from Illinois said the minced beef products were sold on Oct. 30 and Oct. 31 Upper and manufactured on 1 November.
K2D Foods / Colorado Premium Foods catches more than 113,000 pounds of raw ground beef due to potential incidents, which was generated in late March and early April. Pollution.
There is no clear link between these products and the ongoing outbreak of E. coli, the agency said.
Symptoms of E. coli infection include severe stomach cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting. They start on average three to four days after the bacteria are taken. Most people recover after five to seven days.
Consumers are encouraged to prevent the spread of E. coli by frequently washing their hands, cooking minced beef to an internal temperature of 160 degrees, and keeping uncooked foods away from raw beef. Pollution.