قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / US / The police said the 2013 newsroom suspect was "not a threat"

The police said the 2013 newsroom suspect was "not a threat"

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) – The man accused of killing five people in a Maryland newspaper was investigated by a flood of menacing tweets five years ago, but a detective came to the conclusion I do not want to file an indictment because I fear that the situation will be eased, according to a police report released on Friday.

The newspaper was afraid of "sticking a cane in a hive"

The police report from 2013 added by Jarrod W. Ramos, 38, as the former information technology worker who has long struggled against the capital of Annapolis , was charged with murder in the first instance for murder in five cases. Authorities said Ramos barricaded the back door of the office to prevent anyone from leaving the office and methodically thwarting his way through the news room on Thursday with a 1

2-gauge pump-action shotgun, shooting down a victim trying to slip your back.

Three traitors, one reporter and one salesman were killed.

"The guy was there to kill as many people as possible," said Timothy Altomare, police chief of Anne Arundel.

Ramos, clean-shaven, with long hair passing his shoulders, was denied bail in a short court appearance he attended by video, watching attentively, but saying nothing.

Authorities said he was "uncooperative" with interrogators. He was put in jail on a suicide guard. His public defenders had no comment.

The charges include a maximum penalty for life without parole. Maryland Has No Death Penalty

The bloodshed initially shook fears that recent political attacks on the "false news media" exploded into violence. But after all, Ramos had a specific, lengthy complaint against the newspaper.

President Donald Trump, who regularly calls reporters "liars" and "enemies of the people," said, "Journalists, like all Americans, should be free from the fear of being violently attacked while working."

Ramos filed a libel case against the newspaper in 2012 after an article was published about him in which he pleaded guilty to harassing a woman. A judge later dismissed it as groundless. Ramos had repeatedly targeted his associates with angry, obscene tweets.

"There is clearly a story," said the police chief.

Ramos launched as many social media attacks as retired publisher Tom Marquardt in 2013 called. 19659002] Altomare announced Friday that a detective had investigated these concerns and held a conference call with a lawyer from the publisher, a former correspondent and publisher of the newspaper.

The police report said the lawyer has produced a lot of tweets in which Ramos "mentions blood in the water, journalists hell, hitman, open season, glad that there will be no murderous rampage, murder career."

The Detective Michael Praley said in the report that he "did not believe that Mr. Ramos was a threat to the employees" in the newspaper and noted that Ramos had not tried to enter the building and had "direct, threatening correspondence "had sent.

"At the present time, the capital will not pursue prosecutions," Praley wrote. "It was described as putting a stick in a hive that the representatives of the capital city newspaper do not want."

Marquardt, the former publisher, said he had talked to the paper's lawyers about getting a restraining order, but not because of him and others believed Ramos could provoke something worse.

"We've decided to bottom out," he said Friday.

Later, in 2015, Ramos tweeted that he did not want to publish the paper, but "it would be nicer" for two of his journalists to "stop breathing".

Then Ramos became "silent" for over two years, Marquardt said.

"This made us believe he had moved up, but for whatever reason, he decided to resurrect his issue with the capital yesterday," said the former publisher. "We do not know, why."

The chief of police said some new posts were close to killing, but the authorities did not know until then.

Few details were published on Ramos, except that he is single, has no children and lives in an apartment in Laurel, Maryland. He was hired by 2007 to 2014 by an IT service provider for the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the US Department of Labor, a spokesman for the department said.

The rampage started with a shotgun that destroyed the glass entrance to the open newsroom. Ramos carefully planned the attack and used "a tactical approach to hunt and shoot the innocent people," prosecutor Wes Adams said. He said the shooter had an escape plan, but would not elaborate on it.

Journalists crept under desks and searched for other hiding places, describing excruciating minutes of horror when they heard the shooter's footsteps and the repeated explosions.

He curled up, trying not to breathe, trying not to make a sound, and shooting people around me. Photographer Paul Gillespie, who dived under a desk, told The Baltimore Sun, owner of the Annapolis newspaper.

Gillespie said he heard a colleague yell, "No!" A gunshot ensued, he heard another coworker's voice and then one more shot.

About 300 officers arrived and started to reach Ramos within two minutes, a quick response that "saved their lives" without question, Altomare said, "Ramos hid under a desk and did not exchange fire with the police

Ramos was identified using facial recognition technology because the police chief said it was a "delay" in obtaining results from the computer system for analyzing fingerprints The police rejected news reports that Ramos had mutilated his fingertips to prevent its identification.

Two officials told the Associated Press on Thursday based on preliminary information that the shooter may have deliberately damaged his fingers.

The chief told Ramos "Shotgun was legally bought a year ago despite being convicted in the event of harassment, he also wore smoke grenades, authorities said.

Investigators review Ramos' social media Posting and ransacking his home, where Altomare said they found evidence of the attack's planning, the chief did not provide any details.

Among those killed were Rob Hiaasen, 59, deputy editor-in-chief of the newspaper and brother of novelist Carl Hiaasen also edited editor Gerald Fischman, special projects editor, Wendi Winters, reporter John McNamara, and sales assistant Rebecca Smith were killed.

City of Annapolis announced a vigil for the victims on Friday night in a public square near the State House [19659002] ____

By BRIAN WITTE, Associated Press

Associated Press writer Eric Tucker in Washington; Michael Balsamo in Los Angeles; Michael Kunzelman in Annapolis; and Sarah Rankin and Denise Lavoie of Richmond, Virginia contributed to the story, as did the AP News Research Center in New York.

Source link