In an interview with the Saudi Arabian daily Al-Sharq Al-Awasat, which was released on Sunday, the Crown Prince – also known as MBS – claimed that Saudi Arabia wanted "no war in the region", but stressed that the kingdom "will not hesitate to deal with a threat to its people, its sovereignty and its vital interests".
Regarding Thursday's attack on two oil tankers along the Gulf of Oman, the MBS told the Arab daily that the Iranian regime was disregarding Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe as a guest in Tehran by "attacking his efforts." "answered two tankers, one of which is Japanese. "
The Saudi Crown Prince added that the Kingdom plays an important role in the international community by" ensuring the delivery of oil supplies to ensure the stability of the international economy. "He also claimed that, although he was sure It is true that the United Kingdom's strategic relations with the US are not hampered by "media campaigns or some views here and there," these campaigns "do not serve the common goals of our countries."
Iranian Parliament President Ali Larijani accused the US of " Sabotageakte "to have committed against the two tankers to put pressure on Tehran, so the Iranian-funded press television." Suspicious actions in the Oman Sea against oil tankers … seem to complement the economic sanctions [US]as the Americans with the sanctions, [also,] especially in the face of the American historical record in this area, had no success [of false flag ops]"said Larijani during a parliamentary session on Sunday.
The country's foreign ministry called the British ambassador to Tehran to "protest against the British attitude to the Gulf of Oman attacks," state press press said on Saturday
British Foreign Ministry said it was "almost certain" that the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) were behind the attacks. The statement states that no other state or non-state actor "could reasonably have been responsible for it".
During the meeting, the British Ambassador was asked to explain the "unacceptable position" of the United Kingdom, Press TV reported. "We remind the British government of the need to revise its approach and take realistic positions based on the realities of the policies of the Islamic Republic of Iran," said Mahmoud Barimani, head of the European Department of the Iranian Foreign Ministry, according to Press TV.
food for Iranian Falcons
President Donald Trump seems to be convinced that Tehran was responsible. "Iran did it and you know they did it because you saw the boat," he said, seeming to refer to the pictures and videos released by the Pentagon late Thursday. whose latest Iranian saber-rattling has frustrated Trump. One of them, national security adviser John Bolton, announced last month that the Pentagon would send the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber task force to the Middle East in response to a series of "disturbing and escalating signs and crises." Warnings "from Iran
The United States has also blamed Iran for a similar attack on four oil tankers that took place in the Gulf of Oman last month.
The US Central Command said an Iranian ground-to-air missile was fired at a US drone that had arrived after an attack on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.
The missile – a modified Iranian SA-7 – missed the MQ9 drone, spokesman for lieutenant colonel. Earl Brown told CNN on Saturday.
"Subsequent analysis shows that this was a likely attempt to shoot down or otherwise disrupt MQ-9 surveillance," Brown said.
The drone arrived at 6:20 pm local time One Brown observed that one of the two ships, the Norwegian-owned Front Altair, caught fire.
The missile was fired on the drone about 25 minutes later at 6:45 am as the drone monitored the consequences of the attack on the second ship, the Japanese tanker Kokuka Courageous, he said. Brown said the missile was closest to the drone for about a kilometer.
In the hours leading up to the attack, the Iranians fired a rocket at a US drone that flew over the drone, but they missed a US official, CNN said.
The United States has released video showing an Iranian patrol boat removing an unexploded mine from one of its hulls. The Pentagon says the video shows Iranians returning to the scene of the attacks to remove evidence of their involvement.
But the president of the company, which owns the Japanese tanker, said he believes there is "no possibility for a mine attack" due to the attack being far over the sea line. The company president said a crew member who witnessed one of the explosions reported having seen a "flying object".
Twenty-three crew members of the Front Altair have since arrived in Dubai, after they were first brought to Iran, the shipping company Dem heard of the tanker, said Saturday.
The crew consists of 11 Russians, one Georgian and 11 Filipinos.
Frontline CEO Robert Hvide Macleod said the captain made the decision to evacuate the ship after it was attacked. The Iranian Navy finally took the crew and brought them to the Iranian port of Jask.
The front Altair itself remains in the Gulf of Oman. Earlier, a US official said Iranian small boats prevented tugs from dragging one of the damaged tankers. But frontline spokesman Pat Adamson told CNN that they had not noticed any kind of obstruction around his ship since the time of the attack.
A team of specialists will now investigate the ship for a complete assessment of the condition and damage, Frontline said.
CNN's Zachary Cohen and Vasco Cotovio have contributed to this report.