Investigating allegation by actor Jussie Smollett that he had been attacked by two men in Chicago allegedly calling for racist and pro-Trump messages was stopped weeks before the police announced that they would not file any charges ,
CNN reported Friday that Cook County Procuratorate officials notified the police only a week after the actor reported the attack that they could no longer investigate Smollett's allegations.
A deputy prosecutor told police officers that Smollett would solve the problem Smollett lawyer Mark Geragos declined to comment on the news when he was contacted by CNN on Thursday. The charges against the "Empire" actor were dropped in late March. After a preliminary investigation into a reported hate crime against Smollett, it was investigated whether the actor had lied to the police about the incident and paid two brothers who had worked with the show to pay To stage an attack.
Smollett's case aroused nationwide attention due to the nature of his allegations, which manifested a shocking attack by President Trump . The President has labeled Smollett's allegations in tweets as "racist" and criticized the actor for his allegedly false allegations.
"@ JussieSmollett – What about MAGA and the tens of millions of people who have offended you with your racist and dangerous comments? # MAGAZA" Trump tweeted in March after the indictment was dropped.
The Cook County Procuratorate said at the time that Smollett's decision to perform community service and give up his attachment to the city was a "just" result, even as Smollett continued to publicly uphold his side of events.
"After reviewing all the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollet's volunteer service in the community and agreeing to give up his attachment to the City of Chicago, we believe that this is the case and a fair solution for this Fall, "the office said in March.