Khartoum, Sudan – Sudan's interim leader said the temporary military council that led the country since the overthrow of longtime leader Omar al-Bashir pledges to hand over power to a civilian authority.
On Sunday, talks with the military rulers were suspended because they had not believed in their promise to transfer control of the North African country.
"The Transitional Council of the military is complementary to the insurgency and the revolution, and the council is committed to surrendering power to the people," said Lieutenant-General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan to state television on Sunday.
"We are not at all greedy to stay in power more than we did with the opposition parties, and we wait for the opposition to submit their proposal."
Later, the opposition leaders declared their supporters At a major rally in the capital, Khartoum, the military failed to meet its demands and negotiations would continue with further demonstrations.
"The military council is still not serious about handing over power to civilians, and this council [military] also represents part of the old regime," said Mohamed al-Amin Abdulaziz, spokesman for the Sudanese Professional Association (SPA). , Protests and we will escalate our protests. We will boycott talks with the Military Council, "he said.
Al-Burhan also said Khartoum will send a delegation to Washington to question the removal of Sudan from the US" State Sponsors of Terrorism "
"The United States has asked us to send a delegation to discuss the question of deleting the name of Sudan from the list of state sponsors of terrorism," he said. "This delegation was founded and is being incorporated into the United Nations States travel this week or next week.
"Too much time"
In the meantime, thousands of protesters gathered in front of the military headquarters in the capital Khartoum late Sunday and vowed to stay seated. A civilian government is being installed.
I am happy that the military council says they will relinquish power, "said Amru Ahmed al-Dayib, 41, an oil company technician, to Al Jazeera.
" We want to hand them over to independent people. I think Burhan is honest. But I will continue the protest until this happens.
Tafaul Awad, 25, a teaching assistant at Khartoum University, expressed skepticism about the military pledge.
"I do not trust Burhan. We want the power to be handed over completely to the civilians, but Burhan takes too much time. All references are other intentions. I do not believe that the military is interested in transferring power to a civilian authority.
Protests by more than 40 million people in the northeastern African country began in December after Khartoum raised the price of bread.
The protesters then called on Al-Bashir and his government to resign.  The military removed Al-Bashir – who had been in office for three decades – from power on April 11.
The military council has made concessions to the demonstrators, including removing the country's top three prosecutors and appointing a new one Intelligence chiefs.
Protest organizers and political parties were also urged by the army to decide on a civilian prime minister. But the army said it would retain control of the ministries of interior and defense.