قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / The Syrian attack uprooted 120,000, before the disaster warns U.N.

The Syrian attack uprooted 120,000, before the disaster warns U.N.



BEIRUT / GENEVA (Reuters) – More than 120,000 civilians were uprooted by a Syrian government offensive in the southwest, a war observer said Friday, and a senior US official warned of disaster, as they were at risk of being caught between belligerents be.

In this flyer issued on June 28, 201
8, people walk while holding their belongings in the Deraa countryside. SANA / Handout via REUTERS

The Russian-backed offensive has pushed tens of thousands of people to the border with Jordan and thousands more on the border with the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights since June 19, said the Syrian Human Rights Observatory.

Israel and Jordan, which already have 650,000 Syrians, say they will not receive any refugees.

"We are under bombardment, barrel bombing (air raids) of Russian and Syrian warplanes," said Abu Khaled Hariri, 36, who fled the city of al-Harak with his wife and five children to the Golan border.

"We are waiting for God to help us to eat and drink for tents, blankets, mattresses, help for our children."

U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights, Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein, said there was a great risk that many civilians would be trapped between government forces, rebel groups and militant Islamists taking root in the area. Disaster "

" The real concern is that we will see a repeat of what we saw in Ghouta's east – the bloodshed, the suffering, the civilian population under siege, "human rights spokeswoman Liz Throssell said. [19659004] The Syrian government forces, backed by the Russian Air Force, have focused on the rebel-held southwest since defeating the last remaining besieged insurgent pockets, including the eastern Ghouta near Damascus.

The Campaign has broken a "de-escalation agreement" negotiated by the US, Russia and Jordan, which has been fighting mainly in the south-west since last year.

President Bashar al-Assad has "seriously affected" the offensive despite US condemnation and warnings The United States has told the rebels that they have no military assets may expect support against the attack.

The Syrian opposition's chief negotiator, Nasr al-Hariri, has on Thursday sued "US silence" over the offensive, saying only a "malicious deal" could explain the US's lack of reaction.

The Kremlin said Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump will hold a detailed discussion on Syria when they meet in July.

The war has been going on Assass's path since Russia seized on its side in 2015 when it held only a fraction of the country. Today he commands most of Syria, although much of the north and east are beyond his control.

The Syrian government forces have occupied a piece of rebel territory northeast of the city of Deraa. State television broadcasts of what they said were locals celebrating the arrival of the army in the rebel-held city of Ibta, north of Deraa, where state media said rebels were turning their weapons. [1659004] Al-Manar TV, led by Assad's Lebanese ally Hezbollah, said government forces had conquered a hill over a road between east and west of the province of Deraa – a move that would mean that rebels could no longer use it safely ,

This leaflet, issued on June 28, 2018, shows people gathering next to buses in Deraa, Syria. SANA / Handout via REUTERS

A rebel leader, Colonel Nasim Abu Arra, said that heavy clashes were taking place near a military base in the west of the city of Deraa, where government forces could not advance. "There is a barbaric campaign against the Syrian South," he said in a voice message to Reuters.

The seven-year war has already displaced six million people in Syria, driving 5.5 million refugees abroad and killing hundreds of thousands of people.

ISRAEL SUBMITS HELP, WILL NOT RELEASE BORDER

Many of the civilians have fled the areas east and northeast of the city of Deraa and the densely populated rebel city of Nawa in the northwest.

The observatory's director, Rami Abdulrahman, said on the phone that some people had also entered government-controlled areas while others had gone to a corner of the Southwest held by a group affiliated with the Islamic State.

Jordan reaffirmed its position that newly displaced Syrians must be helped in Syria. "Jordan has reached its capacity to receive refugees," said Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi on Thursday to pan-Arab al-Jazeera.

Israeli Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz said in an interview with Tel Aviv Radio 102FM: "I think we need to prevent the entry of refugees from Syria into Israel, in the past we have prevented such cases." The past few days civilians have been spotted in the refugee camps on the Syrian side of the Golan, and over the night he has received aid sent the fleeing people.

The footage released Friday by the Israeli military showed a forklift truck capable of unloading pallets of supplies. It included 300 tents, 28 tons of food, medical equipment and medicines, shoes and clothing.

Reporting by Tom Perry in Beirut, Stephanie Nebehay in Geneva and Ori Lewis in Jerusalem; Arrangement by Kevin Liffey, William Maclean


Source link