قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / The US warns Saudi Arabia that it may withdraw support for civilian casualties in Yemen

The US warns Saudi Arabia that it may withdraw support for civilian casualties in Yemen



Two officials who are familiar with Pentagon thinking say CNN frustration is rising. Defense Secretary James Mattis and General Joseph Votel, heads of US military operations in the Middle East, are particularly concerned that the US is supporting a Saudi Arabia-led airstrike that has killed a large number of civilians, members of Congress and the United Nations Expressed its concern over the actions of Saudi Arabia for months. But after a series of recent strikes killing a large number of civilians, the Pentagon and the State Department have now sent direct messages to the Saudis about limiting civilian casualties. "At what point is enough enough?" One official noted to CNN.

It is unclear whether President Donald Trump, who sees the Saudis as an essential ally, would agree to a reduction in support. The United States is currently offering refueling for Saudi Arabian aircraft and some intelligence support, although it has never been fully explained whether the United States is providing targeted assistance. US officials have long said that they are trying to advise the Saudis on improving coalition processes and procedures to limit civilian casualties in air strikes.

But the US military clearly believes that efforts are not working. Mattis has become increasingly focused on the situation in Yemen since the Saudi Arabian coalition airstrike killed dozens of children in a school bus in northern Yemen on August 9, many under the age of 1
5, officials said. CNN reported that the weapon was a 227-kilogram MK82 laser-guided bomb made by Lockheed Martin, a leading US defense contractor.

After this strike, Mattis told reporters that he would send a senior US general to talk to the Saudis about what happened in the school bus strike. It has become clear that the US military had the authority of Mattis to adopt a tougher line with the Saudis. US Lieutenant General Michael Garrett had scheduled regular meetings with the Saudi leadership on August 12, but the meeting was not routine and he delivered harsh news.

  A bomb that killed 40 children in Yemen was delivered by the US [19659007] Bomb that killed 40 children in Yemen was delivered by the US

"Recent events dictated US military leaders that the situation was particular Mention and official emphasis during his visit required, "said Lt. Cmdr Rebecca Rebarich, a spokeswoman for the Defense Ministry CNN. "Major General Garrett has given a disturbing message regarding the recent civilian accident and has continued to press for a thorough and accelerated investigation on behalf of the US government and continued to reduce civilian casualties in the Yemeni campaign."

This worrying message cast a candle that the help could be cut. However, US officials have said that the US will hold back to make the Saudis pay more attention to civilian casualties.

Former President Barack Obama had banned the sale of precision military technology to Saudi Arabia over "human rights concerns". The ban was lifted by former Foreign Minister Rex Tillerson in March 2017.

The Saudi-led coalition in Yemen claims that the UN is biased, a spokesman said Monday. Turki al-Maliki said in a press conference in Riyadh on Monday: "The coalition is surprised by some remarks made by UN officials in Yemen or at the United Nations (headquarters), which have misguided targets in some reports

condemned last week UNO the Saudis after another air strike in which 30 people, including 22 children, were killed in a rebel-raided area in northwestern Yemen, at which time UN humanitarian chief Mark Lowcock said in a statement, "This This is the second time in two weeks that an air strike by the Saudi Arabia-led coalition has resulted in dozens of civilian casualties. "He added," I agree with the recent Secretary-General's statement on Yemen condemning such attacks on civilians and an impartial, independent and immediate investigation of these recent incidents is required. "

Source link