DETROIT – Physicians at the Detroit Henry Ford Hospital performed a double-graft on a person with vapor-induced lung injury.
The hospital system announced on Monday that it was the first in the country to perform surgery on someone who had irreparable lung damage from vaping. It is planned to hold a press conference on Tuesday to find out more details.
E-cigarette or vaping-associated lung injury, also known as EVALI, has caused more than 2,000 deaths in the US and US territory since March, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Among them, 39 people have died, including one person in Michigan.
All EVALI patients reported using e-cigarette or vape products in the past. Many patients said they use vape products containing tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, a chemical that causes most of the psychoactive effects of marijuana.
While the CDC has not identified any compound or ingredient that caused these diseases, health officials say they have linked vitamin E acetate, an adjunct in some THC products, to EVALI. The CDC reported last week that vitamin E acetate is "a very strong culprit" in vapus-related lung injuries.
19659002] Until more is known, the CDC recommends:
- Do not use E-cigarette or steam products, especially those containing THC.
- Do not buy e-cigarettes or steam products, especially those containing THC from the street.
- Do not modify or add substances to e-cigarettes or vapor products that are not intended by the manufacturer.
Adults who use e-cigarettes for smoking cessation should not smoke again. You should weigh all risks and benefits and consider applying FDA approved nicotine replacement therapies.
Follow Kristen Jordan Shamus on Twitter: @kristenshamus.