RICHMOND, Va. – Virginia's Back to School / Hurricane Readiness Three-day vat holiday is almost here.
This year's Virginia Sales Tax Holiday, which begins the first Friday in August and the following Sunday at 23:59, Aug. 3 through Aug. 5
During the tax-free weekend, shoppers can buy school supplies during the hurricane season and make necessary arrangements without paying state and local sales taxes
Holidays should provide financial support to families.
All retailers who sell the exempt products must participate in the sales tax holiday.
The exempt articles include:
School supplies, clothing and footwear 1
- Portable Generators – $ 1,000 or less per item
- Gas Operated Chainsaws – $ 350 or less per item
- Chainsaw Accessories – $ 60 or less per item
- Other Specified Hurricane Preparation Products – $ 60 or less per item
Energy Star ™ and WaterSense ™ products
- Qualifying Energy Star ™ or WaterSense ™ products purchased for non-commercial, residential or personal use – $ 2,500 or less per item
- Learn more in the 2017 sales tax holiday guidelines.
Online purchases of qualifying products are exempt from sales tax as long as orders are placed and paid for the exception rule in August 3-5 and the sellers have the items available for immediate delivery, according to the Virginia Department of Taxation.
Click here for detailed lists of qualifying articles and additional information.