PARIS (Reuters) – The World Health Organization (WHO) announced Thursday that Sanofis dengue vaccine should only be used after people have been tested to see whether they could have been exposed before the infection.
After a long-awaited After a two-day meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, experts from the United Nations specialized agency said the drug should now be "safer".
"We now have clear information that the vaccine needs to be treated A safe way to use it exclusively in people who are already infected," said Alejandro Cravioto, chairman of the Expert Advisory Group (SAGE) on immunization, to journalists.
According to a new analysis of the data, Sanofi warned in November that the vaccine might, in some cases, increase the risk of severe dengue in individuals who were previously unaffected. Mosquito-borne dengue is the fastest-growing infectious disease in the world, affecting hundreds of millions of people worldwide. It causes half a million life-threatening infections and kills about 20,000 people, mostly children, annually. Sanofi's vaccine, marketed under the Dengvaxia brand and the world's first Dengue-approved vaccine, is the center of a health scare in the Philippines, where the government discontinued its use last year due to widespread security concerns. A vaccination campaign with Dengvaxia also took place in the state of Parana in Brazil.
Reporting by Matthias Blamont, Julie Steenhuysen; Arrangement of John Irish