قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / They showered in contact lenses and then lost sight

They showered in contact lenses and then lost sight




(News)

A scary reminder to contact wearers to take them out before taking a shower or swimming. Two British patients remained legally blind in one eye after contracting a rare parasitic eye infection with water, Live Science reports. A 41-year-old woman described two months of pain, blurred vision and photosensitivity in her left eye before doctors found a defect in her cornea, according to a report in the New England Journal of Medicine (19459006). The woman was eventually diagnosed with Acanthamoeba keratitis, a parasitic infection that, according to CDC, "most commonly occurs in people who wear contact lenses". It describes risk factors such as improper handling and "swimming, using a hot tub or showering while wearing lenses".

The woman finally received a partial cornea transplant that slightly improved her eyesight. Nick Humphrey is waiting for the same procedure in his right eye. "If I can see again, I'll never be in contact again," says the 29-year-old, according to Fox News. He received a keratitis from Acanthamoeba in 201

8 after regularly showering with contact lenses. "I wake up, put my lenses in and go to the gym before going to work, then jump into the shower before going to the office," he says. He works with charity Fight for Sight to warn others that this can be done "for something as simple as showering". (For more information about the risks, see here.)

var FBAPI = & # 39; 119343999649 & # 39 ;;

window.fbAsyncInit = function () { FB.init ({ appId: FBAPI, Status: true, cookie: true, xfbml: true, oauth: true, authResponse: true, Version: & # 39; v2.5 & # 39; });

FB.Event.subscribe (& # 39; edge.create & # 39 ;, function (response) { AnalyticsCustomEvent (& # 39; Facebook & # 39 ;, & # 39 ;, & # 39; P & # 39;); }); };

// Load the SDK asynchronously (Function (d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName (s) [0]; if (d.getElementById (id)) return; js = d.createElement (s); js.id = id; js.src = "http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore (js, fjs); } (document, & # 39; script & # 39 ;, & # 39; facebook-jssdk & # 39;));


Source link