قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / They showered with contact lenses and then lost sight

They showered with contact lenses and then lost sight




The woman's eye, which appears green due to a dye that detects corneal damage. (New England Journal of Medicine)

A frightening reminder to contact wearers to remove them before showering or swimming.

Two British patients were left blind in one eye after a rare, water-related parasitic eye infection. reports Live Science. A 41-year-old woman described two months of pain, blurred vision, and photosensitivity in her left eye before doctors found a defect in her cornea, as reported in the New England Journal of Medicine (19459020).

The woman was eventually diagnosed with Acanthamoeba keratitis, a parasitic infection that, according to the CDC, "most commonly occurs in people wearing contact lenses". It describes risk factors such as improper use and "swimming, using a hot tub or showering with glasses".

The woman eventually received a partial cornea transplant that slightly improved her vision.

Nick Humphrey expects the same procedure in his right eye. "If I can see again, I'll never be in contact again," says the 29-year-old, according to Fox News. After showering regularly with contact lenses, he received Acanthamoeba keratitis in 2018.

"I would wake up, plug in my lenses and go to the gym before going to work, then I would jump in the shower before going to the office," he says.

He works with the charity Fight for Sight to warn others that this can be done "for something as simple as showering". (More about the risks here.) [19659003] More from Newser:


Source link