قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / They showered with their contact lenses and then lost sight of their FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF TV

They showered with their contact lenses and then lost sight of their FOX 4 Kansas City WDAF TV



A scary reminder to the contact wearers to take them out before taking a shower or swimming.

Two British patients were legally blinded after a rare, water-related parasitic eye infection in one eye.

A 41-year-old woman described pain, blurred vision and photosensitivity in the left eye for two months before doctors found a defect in her cornea, according to a report in the New England Journal of Medicine (19459004).

The woman's eye, which appears green by a dye to detect corneal damage. (New England Journal of Medicine)

The woman was eventually diagnosed with Acanthamoeba keratitis, a parasitic infection that, according to CDC, is "most commonly found in people with contact lenses." It describes risk factors such as improper use and "swimming, using a hot tub or showering with glasses".

The woman eventually received a partial cornea transplant that slightly improved her vision.

Nick Humphrey expects the same procedure in his right eye.

"When I regain my vision, I will never again be in contact," says the 29-year-old, according to Fox News. He received a akanthamoeba keratitis in 2018 after regularly showering with contact lenses.

"I woke up, put in my lenses and went to the gym before working, then jumped in the shower before going to the office," he says.

He is working with charity Fight for Sight to warn others that this can be done "for something as simple as showering". (More about the risks here.) [19659002] More from Newser:

51.507351
-0.127758


Source link