What he told the doctors shocked her: The boy was steaming when, without warning, his e-cigarette exploded in his face. The freak accident described in a case study published Wednesday is just one of thousands in recent years.
"People need to know before they buy these devices that they may be blowing up in your face," Dr. Katie Russell, the medical director of trauma at Primary Children's Hospital, who first treated the boy.
It is unclear what type of e-cigarette was involved in the incident.
A study published in 2018 estimated that from 2015 to 2017, more than 2,000 e-cigarette explosions and burns led to emergency departments in US hospitals.
The Teenager The Nevada-born man, according to Russell, had no idea his steam could explode. He kept repeating the row in the ER, she remembers, and he was "pretty freaked out" hours after the explosion.
"I've never seen this before in my career, never heard of it as a possibility," said Russell, describing the boy's injuries in the New England Journal of Medicine.
"I just wanted to bring this out so other people know it's possible," she added.
The boy Russell treated was "a tough kid," she said, and he healed well. Others, however, were less fortunate.
Two dead others injured in an E-Zig explosion
In February, a Texas man died after his e-cigarette exploded and splinters through tore his carotid artery. According to his family, part of the device stuck in the throat of the man in the hospital.
About a year ago, a Florida man was also found dead after his e-cigarette exploded during use and a projectile shot in his head. In both cases, these were "mechanical modifications," meaning larger evaporators with more powerful batteries than many typical devices.
Both deaths occurred in adults, but many teenagers reported burns from similar explosions of electric cigarettes. The injuries have increased as experts warned, according to a report released last year, of an "epidemic" of teenage vaping, in which nearly 40% of 12-year-olds used the devices.
A teenager in Oregon almost lost his eye when his vaping erupted Two years ago, CNN's daughter KYTV exploded. Another 17-year-old told CNN affiliate KNXV in 2016 that "it was as if [a] a bomb went off" before her clothes caught fire and an explosion of e-cigarettes burned her chest, arms and left hands behind.
In one case in 2017, a 14-year-old girl was burned when an e-cigarette exploded in the pocket of a nearby college student while on a Harry Potter ride at Universal Studios. A year earlier, another 14-year-old was blind after an e-cigarette explosion in a mall in Brooklyn.
"Explosive Injuries" and Skin Transplants
While Experts and Stakeholders Questions about the health effects of fumes, explosive and fire hazards that have received less attention have been around for a long time. However, some researchers have sounded the alarm.
In a letter published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 2016, doctors at the University demanded of Washington Medical The center described 15 patients who had suffered an explosion of e-cigarettes in less than a year.
Most accidents were flame-burned and nearly 30% of patients suffered "blast injuries" resulting in "tooth loss, traumatic tattooing and extensive tooth loss" loss of soft tissue. "Burning the flames required wound care and skin grafting," wrote physicians.
They added that "e-cigarettes remain largely unregulated," warning that "these incidents used to be isolated, but the injuries to our 15 patients were growing." Evidence that e-cigarettes are a public safety concern that requires greater regulation and design changes to improve safety. "
The FDA is" concerned "but does not require e-cigarette recalls
 Industry groups continue to be wary of regulation, arguing instead that manufacturers need the freedom to simply change their products and to "We need to make sure that we are not regulated out of the business," said Ray Story, founder of the Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association. "The decision increases the pressure for the FDA to strictly regulate e-cigarettes" = "media__image" src = "http://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/190304160203-e-cigarettes-large-169.jpg" />