قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / Three babies are dead, 100 missing in the last shipwreck off Libya

Three babies are dead, 100 missing in the last shipwreck off Libya



Al-Hmidiya (Libya) (AFP) – Three children died off the coast of Libya on Friday, while 100 people were missing in the recent shipwreck of Mediterranean migrants when European leaders fiercely fought over the problem , [196592002] According to survivors brought to Al-Hmidiya, east of the capital Tripoli, about 1

20 migrants were aboard the dinghy.

Only 16 were rescued, while the missing had two babies and three children under the age of 12.

Survivors who made it back to Libyan soil told of their ordeal that took them east of Garaboulli's dawn of Tripoli

During the trip, an explosion occurred on board, after which the engine caught fire, the ship began to take water, they told AFP.

The passengers included several Moroccan families, none of whom survived, as well as Syrians and Sudanese, they said.

"When I saw the number of people on the boat I refused to go on bard because we had been told that we would be 20 (passengers)," said survivor Amri Swileh from Yemen.

The 26-year-old showed his injured arms and threatened to shoot him Boat, which was only eight feet long

"I saw people burn," he said.

"I lost all my Yemenite friends who were with me, all five are missing."

While there were up to 15 women on board, the 16 rescued passengers were all young men.

Another survivor, Bakari Badi, said that early in the journey, a man fell into the water and had to climb back onto the overcrowded ship.

"People told the captain to return to Libya, but until then our engine exploded so many people were wounded," said the 32-year-old Gambian.

– "I saw people dying"

The shipwreck came after European Union leaders reached an agreement on a fairer reception of migrants. There are still huge differences between countries throughout the bloc.

EU President Donald Tusk warned that it would work, while France and Austria opposed the inclusion of migrant centers.

The poorly equipped Libyan Coast Guard has been forced to leave most of the bodies of migrants who died in the shipwreck on Friday, "for lack of resources," said a Coast Guard captain.

Salem al-Qadhi said he was shocked when his ship reached the place.

"It was horrible to see," he said.

Fishermen had discovered the troubled ship and contacted the Libyan Coast Guard.

Kobrem, a 17-year-old survivor, said he clung to a rope on the destroyed boat for two hours until rescuers arrived 9022] "Each of the other survivors stuck to something, mostly empty containers," the teenager added , who paid smugglers for the crossing for 400 dollars (340 euros).

"I saw people dying: babies, children, women" men, "he said.

– EU deal –

More rescues were carried out off the coast of Garaboulli on Friday, involving 345 migrants from three Boats were rescued, said Navy spokesman General Ayoub Kacem

in recent days involved in the rescue of hundreds of migrants.

On June 18, five bodies were recovered and over 100 people rescued after

Almost 1,000 migrants were rescued on June 24 from several dinghies that had run into trouble on dangerous offers to cross the Mediterranean to Europe.

Heads of State reached overnight agreement includes plans to establish safe havens in Europe to process arrival arrivals, but cracks are already starting to get worse (196 59030) The Brussels Pact also proposes to set up "disembarkation platforms" outside the EU to reduce the number of people engaged in dangerous seafaring.

But the forces of Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar on Friday denied any foreign military presence in the south of the country to stem migration.

Haftar heads the self-proclaimed Libyan National Army, which controls much of eastern Libya and supports a parallel government that challenges the authority of the UN-backed government in Tripoli.


Source link