Matthew Boyd had another dominant game, and the Detroit Tigers offense was just enough to score a 2-1 win over the New York Yankees on Wednesday afternoon. The victory brought a serial victory to the Yankees for Detroit, bringing them to over 500 for the first time since Opening Day.
After threatening both teams in the second threat, the Yankees took first place in the third inning. DJ LeMahieu narrowly missed a home run, but opted for a double at the top of the left field wall. He scored only a few points later when Aaron Judge lined up a single in the right field. Boyd was lucky enough to flee with only the allowed run. Later, he teamed up with Gary Sanchez in the inning and gave a keen grounder to Gleyber Torres, who was destined for the Center Field. Fortunately for the tigers, Judge's ball was distracted, resulting in third place in the innings.
The tigers tied the score in the next inning, but could have had more. They loaded the bases with a game against Loaisiga and tied off the game with a sacrificial fly by Christin Stewart. Nicholas Castellanos was a great slide to avoid the end. But John Hicks beat runners in second and third to end the threat.
Apart from this inning, Boyd was all. He hit a career high for 1
Matthew Boyd today produced 26 (!!!) swinging strokes, representing the most * swinging blows from a Tigers pitcher in a single match in the Statcast era (2015-present).
– Devan Fink (@DevanFink) April 3, 2019
The Yankees threatened a few times – leaving runners in fifth and sixth – but Boyd closed the door to tie the game. He finished the day after 6 1 / 3 innings with five hits and three walks.
The score remained the same until the eighth inning, when Gordon Beckham beat the former Tigers Prospect Chad Green 1-0 in the short porch in the right field. The solo home run was his first hit as a tiger and only the second homer of the team of the season – yes, the first since Christin Stewart's winner on the opening day.
From there, the Tiger Bullpen did the rest. Buck Farmer scored two outs after Boyd's departure, and Joe Jimenez and Shane Greene worked a pair of goalless innings to end the win.
Matthew Boyd stat city
- Boyd's 13 hits were a career-high 11-stroke performance against the St. Louis Cardinals last September.
- This was Boyd's second consecutive 10-stroke game that opened the season. He's the first Tigers pitcher to do that.
- Boyd now has 23 failures in the season, all of which lead MLB pitchers. Max Scherzer is second with 21 punchouts. Best in the American League is Blake Snell with 16 attacks.
- Boyd's thirteen punches are most heavily played by a Tiger pitcher since Scherzer beat 14 pirate thugs in 2014. They are the strongest of a tiger left, since Mickey Lolich has beaten 1972 started the starting shot for 15 starters.
After a seven-game road trip to open the season, the Tigers return home to Detroit for a home game against Kansas City Royals on Thursday. Spencer Turnbull starts for the tigers against Royals right-handed Jake Junis.
Who was the Tiger the player of the game?
Ok, fine, maybe Gordon Beckham
lol jk It's Matthew Boyd
287 votes in total