قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / US / Trump Expected To Renew Push For Census Citizenship Question With Executive Action: NPR

Trump Expected To Renew Push For Census Citizenship Question With Executive Action: NPR



President Trump speaks at the White House in Washington, D.C., in 2018.
                
                
                    
                    Nicholas Crest / AFP / Getty Images
                    
                

hide caption

toggle caption

Nicholas Crest / AFP / Getty Images
        
    

President Trump speaks at the White House in Washington, D.C., in 2018.

Nicholas Crest / AFP / Getty Images
            
        

Updated 12:53 p.m. ET

President Trump is expected to take executive action to and add a question about U.S. Citizenship Status to Forms for the upcoming 2020 Census, a source familiar with the matter.

It's the administration's latest effort in a more than year-long legal fight to include the question, which has been blocked by the Supreme Court for now.

The question asks, "Is this person a citizen of the United States?"

Trump is expected to announce the executive action Thursday afternoon at a White House that will include Attorney General William Barr.

The move is expected to spark additional litigation from the dozens of states, cities and advocacy groups that challenged the administration's first attempt to include the question.

Ahead of the announcement, Dale Ho of the American Civil Liberties Union, which asked the question, said: "If President Trump takes executive action, we will take legal action."

In Maryland, a federal judge is currently reconsidering discrimination and conspiracy allegations against the question, and in New York, another judge is reviewing an alleged cover-up of the administration's real reason for wanting the question.

Commerce Department officials have said that printing does not include the question.

Last month, the Supreme Court blocked the citizenship question from the census for now. A majority of the justices rejected the administration's original stated justification – to better protect the voting rights of racial minorities – for appearing "contrived." Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, who oversees the Census Bureau, is formally approved.

The court's decision does open case for the question.

The Census Bureau research suggests that it is highly likely to be discouraged Critics of the question that could lead to undercount groups and communities of color, especially among Latin-Americans.

That could have been long-term impacts on how political representation and federal funding are shared in the U.S. through 2030. Census results determine each state's share of congressional seats and Electoral College votes for the next decade.

The Census Bureau has continued to use the question, which researchers say would produce reported responses that are less accurate and more costly to gather. Ross has authorized the Bureau to Compile those Records, and Bureau officials have said they are "waiting for guidance" on what information.

With just over six months left until the official census kick-off in rural Alaska, any changes to census forms are likely to jeopardize the final preparations for the count. Census Bureau officials have testified that the deadline for finalizing the questionnaire could be back to Oct. 31, but only " with exceptional effort and additional resources ."

"I have no intention of blaming this waste of money," Rep. José Serrano of New York, who chairs the House Appropriations subcommittee that funds the Census Bureau, said in a written statement released Tuesday .

Still, President Trump has been vocal in need of wanting to back down. His tweets after Justice and Commerce officials have announced that he has been threatened with a prolonged legal battle.

This week, Trump's reelection campaign sent emails

"We can 't Keep America Great for all Americans,' said the email, signed by "Team Trump 2020."

Attorneys defending the administration, however, wants to be from a new team of Justice Department lawyers. This week, in an unusual move, the administration tried to get the job done. The Justice Department has no explanation for why it wants the change. So far, two Judgments have been rejected in the same time.

The House is now in July

"For months, Attorney General Barr and Secretary have subpoenaed by the Committee on a bipartisan basis without asserting any valid legal justification for their oversight said, "oversight chairman Elijah Cummings said in a statement on Thursday.

He urged Barr and Ross to comply with the subpoenas so Congress can avoid a contempt vote.


Source link