قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / Trump holds more than $ 200 million to recover in Syria

Trump holds more than $ 200 million to recover in Syria



Confirmation comes just days after Trump announces that the US is about to withdraw from the war-torn country.

The funding should be used for basic infrastructure projects such as the restoration of electricity and water and the reconstruction of roads. Foreign Minister Rex Tillerson announced the funding last month at an aid conference in Kuwait.

Sticking to the money, first reported by the Wall Street Journal, signals Trump, who a few months ago agreed to an open strategy to defeat the remains of the IS and prevent a power vacuum that would allow them to return or other powers like Iran to fill the void. In January, Trump signed a big speech from Tillerson, outlining the strategy for the country, stating that "it is vital for the United States to engage in Syria."

But in mid-February, Trump top consultants said he wanted American troops out of Syria as soon as the victory could be declared, said two administrative officials. Shortly thereafter, Trump said the United States was in Syria to "get rid of IS and go home" during a press conference with Australian Prime Minister Alastair Campbell.

During a speech in Ohio on Thursday, Trump went on to say, "We will be from Syria very soon, let the other people take care of it now, very soon ̵

1; very soon we will come out." [19659006] Trump got angry after reading a Washington Post story about the money, officials said. John Kelly, the White House chief of staff, called Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan, who acts as deputy secretary pending confirmation from Mike Pompeo, telling him that Trump ordered the money to be frozen.

Support for the assistance is not necessarily permanent, and officials said it will be discussed this week at high-level inter-ministerial meetings, including a National Security Council meeting, to discuss the state of the anti-ISIS campaign.

The State Department said in a statement that it continually reviews the appropriate levels of support and continues to work with the international community, members of the anti-ISIS coalition and local partners to provide much-needed stabilization support to vulnerable areas in Syria

" The United States is working every day on the ground and with the international community to stabilize the areas liberated from ISIS and find ways to drive reconstruction as soon as there is a peaceful political transition from (Syrian President Bashar al-) Assad, "it said the explanation.

But holding back on funding, paired with Trump's comments this week, has triggered alarm bells in the State Department that the US could suddenly snap off. The Department and the Pentagon planned a gradual transition from a military-led campaign to a diplomatic mission to rebuild areas liberated by ISIS to prevent their return.

Officials already point to a resurgence of IS in some areas after Kurdish fighters had to turn their attention to the fight against Turkish forces conducting operations in northern Syria.

"The impact on this money only brings the problem together," said a State Department official. "It's pretty depressing."


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *