قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / US / Trump's government proposes a scheme to exclude 3.1 million people from the food stamp program: Report

Trump's government proposes a scheme to exclude 3.1 million people from the food stamp program: Report



The Trump administration is expected to come up with a ruling on Tuesday to cut some 3.1 million Americans out of the food stamp program to save taxpayers $ 2.5 billion a year.

The US has reached a low level of unemployment, which is considered as the main cause of low participation in the program. President Trump has tweeted earlier this month that food brand consumption is at a 10-year low. Politifact confirmed the claim.

Reuters, citing a US Department of Agriculture, said residents in 43 states receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) assistance automatically enroll in the Supplemental Nutritional Food Mark Program Assistance Program or SNAP.

The USDA intends to review these TANF cases to determine if participants are eligible for the program.

"This proposal saves money and preserves the integrity of the program," said Sonny Perdue, US Secretary of Agriculture, said in a conference call. "SNAP should be a temporary safety net."

SNAP, formerly known as the Food Stamps Program, is a federal program that provides food deliveries to non-work or low-income people in the US According to the program, individuals must account for no more than 1

30 percent of federal poverty based on household size.

GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The move was criticized by Senator Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., Who told the Washington Post that the move was another attempt by the Trump administration to "to bypass Congress and change food aid, which has repeatedly been rejected non-partisanly".

Fox News "Andrew O" Reilly and the Associated Press have contributed to this report


Source link