At least one Amazon employee is in critical condition after being exposed to vapors of a bear deterrent that was damaged Wednesday morning in a warehouse in New Jersey. A total of 24 workers were sent to the local hospitals.
According to officials, 54 workers in Robbinsville had difficulty breathing and burning in the throat and eyes after an automated machine had drilled 9 ounces. After about 8:45 clock announces NJ.com.
Members of the Robbinsville Fire Department responded to the scene, indicating that the forces were investigating "fumes" as the EMTs "had multiple patients."
Robbinsville Township spokesman John Nalbone told The Washington Post that the repellent contained concentrated amounts of capsaicin, a peppercorn extract from the capsicum pepper plant. He said the warehouse itself had not been cleared, but the area where the can had been unloaded had been cleared.
It was not clear how many workers were exposed to the vapors, but 24 employees were taken to five hospitals in the region, and at least one was listed in critical condition.
Another 30 people were treated in the camp.
Rachael Lighty, a spokeswoman for Amazon, confirmed the Washington Post accident on Wednesday in the Washington Post, adding that security is "our top priority."
"Today at our fulfillment center in Robbinsville, a damaged aerosol can deliver heavy fumes to a closed area of the facility," she said in a statement. "Our employees' safety is our top priority, so all of our employees have been in this The area is moved to a safe location, and staff members suffering from symptoms are treated on the spot, and some staff members were taken to local hospitals for assessment and treatment, and we appreciate the speed of response from our local responders. "
The incident is still going on investigated.